Thread: Optimal hose size for shop vac to sander

Optimal hose size for shop vac to sander

I recently decided to start using a shop vac with my sander in hopes of starting to save my lungs. Some time down the road I do plan to order the Festool CT15 when it becomes available. But for now I have to get by with a medium sized Ridged shop vac.

My question is what is the optimal hose diameter for collecting dust from my sander with my Ridged shop vac?

I know with dust collectors the larger the pipe or hose the better the performance. Just wasn’t sure if the same logic applies to shop vac’s since they operate differently. (Shop vacs use static pressure and dust collectors work by volume right?)

My Ridged vac has a factor 2.5” diameter hose. Would the performance be better if I used a 2.5” hose hooked up to my sander versus a 1.25” or 1.5” hose? Just looking for the best option.

(Oh and P.S.)Since this vac will be dedicated to sanding only would you guys also recommend a cheap knock off cyclone for the vac?

i've used both 28 and 35mm hoses, both work fine (indistinguishably). A fat hose (2.5") would be really awkward to use with a sander.

Having struggled with a combination of different brand and standard (metric vs imperial) sanders and vacuums over the years, I'd say use a hose that attaches to your sander positively and without adapters. Having lived with various jury-rigged or expensive proprietary adapters the only property they share is that they all fall off, and most constrict flow, sometimes too much. An adapter at the vacuum end is easier to live with.

I hate to say it, but the stupidly expensive Festool hose works surprisingly well. It has a slick surface that seems not to hang up as it moves. It attaches firmly to both my Festool and Mirka sanders. I plug it into my Bosch vac using an adapter I had.

I have considered the Rockler fixed length kit , but I'm still looking around . I currently use a 2.5" hose ( a very good one ) , but it's too stiff . I'd also love advice on this , trying to keep the cost down .

the orange smaller hose that Rigid has works great for me with my 5" PC ROS's. 5 & 8 hole
    Actually has too much suction for sanding I leave the hose connected to the guard on table saw to reduce the suction.
    Using Rigid shop vac 14 gallon m/l with a Clear vue cvo6 cyclone

I use the Bosch 5 meter hose with my sanders, track saw, and domino. I think it is a 35mm hose. My Bosch 1250 DEVS came with the adapter it needed. I think I had to get one for my DeWalt 5 inch ROS. The hose plugs up to the domino and track saw (DeWalt) without an adapter. I don't plug the hose directly into my Rigid shop vac but I think you could. I have a dust deputy on the shop vac and connect the Bosch hose there.

I use a 1.25” hose with my BOSS spindle sander and all of my ROS’s, biscuit cutter, etc., it works great. If I have a lot of sanding to do, I hang the hose off a hook on the ceiling with a long spring to keep it out of the way. A 2.5” hose would be too clunky.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Blog Entries
    I use a Ridgid vac, a 2-1/2" hose that reduces to a 1-1/4" whip and then reduces at the sanders port. I have a shop made venting collar to keep the vac from overpowering what I am doing.

Shop Vac Bleeder (4).jpgShop Vac Bleeder (5).jpgShop Vac Bleeder (6).jpgShop Vac Bleeder (7).jpg

The sander will lift small parts off the table if I don't cut back on the vac. I do run a Dust Deputy so the suction is very consistent. In short I notice no problem in reducing at the whip and again at the sander. In fact I have to back it off. It is kind of cool to see sawdust rushing towards the sander instead of being thrown around by it.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I will have to measure the inlet on my main sander which is a Porter Cable 6” direct drive with their dust hood that does not come with the sander but available on Amazon. I think it might be 1” but I will have to check to be sure.

Does anyone have a preference or suggestion on where to get a hose that will stay on without easily falling off? I will likely use a 1.25” hose with a 1” adapter. I will also make a shop made book arm so I will probably need a 16ft hose.