Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: New shop build, the MBS

New shop build, the MBS

I’ve received some offline encouragement to post some content of my new shop build. If you’ve read any of my other numerous questions (thx all for invaluable help), I’ve been at this since last April. Here is an effort to slowly catch up.

The shop replaces the same spot where I built a veggie garden three years ago. Wife is decidedly unhappy about this but I’ve assured her, as we both love tomatoes, that it will return with much better sun exposure.

Here are a few red and yellow Brandywine, Goosecreek Black, and Big Beefs ones.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Jon Snider; 03-08-2019 at 1:33 PM.

The shop started out as a single level structure in several different optional locations on our lot. After meeting with the planners at Regional Building, it became apparent that even with the neighborhood approval we had received on a petition I took with me, they would not sign off on these choices due to setbacks. It turns out, at least in my town, if you have a lot surrounded by streets on three sides, you’re the lucky winner of three “front” setbacks, all 35’. Try arguing that with city officials!

I decided, over strong objection from my spouse (easier to ask for forgiveness than permission), to build a detached structure due south of the existing garage. I decided since I had one shot at this, my only spot, to maximize space. After some discussion, a basement was added after several contractor friends told me this would not add much cost (false).

Since our soil has some expansive clay an overdig was necessary.
    Last edited by Jon Snider; 03-08-2019 at 1:42 PM.

Sorry about rotated pics. I must have taken some of these in landscape vs portrait mode w my phone. Will try to fix in future.

Looking forward to seeing your shop go up. Looks like it's gonna be great!
    Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Jefferey Scott View Post
    Looking forward to seeing your shop go up. Looks like it's gonna be great!
    thx Jeff. I’m from Fort Smith and my family is all from NE Ok. Most went to OU.

Here are pics of the site, after garden removed, survey stake, and some more of foundation going in. The excavation and foundation was hired out, as I wasn’t ready to take that on yet.

2A608B73-CDB0-4A04-AA6D-EBF333ACDF67.jpg46AC7677-0598-4DD8-A47B-893BD13A8A99.jpg5664310D-722B-4512-B2F8-BF3D2A2B688E.jpg40826CB6-6998-4750-9B3C-F5BE202FFC38.jpgE36EDDA9-C42F-4309-92D0-F2043061B1B0.jpgE59D0F86-5F9F-4CC1-A57C-78B08E09740F.jpg

The nice thing about a garden is with the exception of a few particular plants, the location can be "flexible". A shop...not so much.

Congrats on a great start to your project. That extra level downstairs will undoubtedly come in handy. If you plan on putting anything substantial down there from time to time, consider a generous access hatch with some form of lifting capability when you are putting in the floor.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Looks great! Your ordinances are quite different from mine. When a home is located on a corner lot, or surrounded by three streets, the front door/address determines the “front”. The other two sides would be subject to “side lot” restrictions. Even in our community however, given the size of your build, it would likely only be allowed in the back lot unless you have considerable space on either side.

Congrats you lucky dog. That basement will be a great place to locate your dust collector and air compressor, the big noise makers. And you can run your duct work through the floor to the machinery. Thanks in advance for the updates.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Snider View Post
    thx Jeff. I’m from Fort Smith and my family is all from NE Ok. Most went to OU.

Good to see someone from our neck of the woods on here Jon.
    Jeff

Early on my plan was for a single level shop on slab or possibly a crawl space. Here are a couple of drawings of some early ideas, with tool placement. My idea was to put the dust collector and compressor outside the south wall of the shop in an exterior closet.

9F480CA2-C913-485C-BDFC-22C1C9A38BBD.jpg

Here’s one a little further down the road with a few changes, looking at how a sliding table saw would fit inside with all of my other tools.

F71A41DA-4C52-448A-8DD8-54B9DB93E2A0.jpg

The boat shown on the right in the sketches is a dory. A few years ago I built a Briggs-style whitewater dory for western whitewater multi day trips, and enjoyed the process so much I’ve decided to build some more. So a spot is reserved when a build or repair is going on. There will be a chain hoist overhead to lift and turn over the boats which can weigh up to 500 lbs.

Here are a few pics of Huerfano loading up and on a Green River trip.

ACDFEA93-ED2F-4210-8BF3-3ADBE537AFA3.jpg2F6E5057-56BF-4469-8690-FB4C8EC71BF1.jpgBB0CA40E-3663-4290-82FF-1CC19C804881.jpg

And a watercolor drawn by a friend during the first trip.

39B295CA-8156-4158-9161-2C98C2262B97.jpg

I’ve wanted to get out of my basement shop for 25 years. Every time I cut wood or put on a lacquer finish my wife would complain about the dust or smell in the house. Building the dory in the garage was the last straw, requiring countless trips down and up stairs to the basement machines.
    Last edited by Jon Snider; 03-09-2019 at 11:41 PM.

My kids have decided to call the new shop the Marland (our street) Boat Shop, hence the MBS in the title of this thread. They had a little fun with this at Christmas with this plaque to me.

12343C30-2D39-4AE7-9F21-B8EAFB495DE0.jpg

More city issues.

The maximum combined garage space for two structures is 1200 sq ft. And number of garage doors is limited. Plus for all detached structures, the max height is 16’ for buildings with roof pitch less than 6/12 and 20’ for those 6/12 or steeper.

Yet more, we’re in a hillside fire overlay (the exact last friggin house!). So they decided soil test, erosion and drainage control, geological survey, and approved landscape plan would be required. At this point I was about to give up.

Not only the cost was an issue. We’re in a building boom, and my little piss ant project was as low as you can get on the totem pole. I am the permit holder and GC for this build, and can now sympathize with real contractors. I’ve lost count of how many times I’ve been stood up by a sub, or told 3 months was the earliest.