Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: New shop build, the MBS

Looks fantastic! Please keep posting!

Very nice and great progress. Love the landscape so I hope you have some windows to see it

This is coming together...once that's closed in, the reality will REALLY set in for you when you stand there and imagine all the things you want to do in that great space.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Is the framing a family affair? If so, I suspect all will cherish the memories.

My brothers and I helped our dad build his shop. Then my oldest got to skip a day of 8th grade to drive a 36' shooting-boom forklift to 'fly' in the timber frame parts for our last house. ...Good times!!

Jon,
    I have been following along and enjoying your posts. Guess I should have said so earlier. Please keep posting.
    Another Jon

Thx Jon. Excellent spelling!

Nice build Jon!

Possible heads up. I don't know if you've ever worked with attic trusses before but something I've run into numerous times is the webs, that make up the wall and ceiling, aren't always in line with each other. It's something that's best addressed before you get mechanicals or other infrastructure in the way.

That is a big shop. Looks good. I just am getting started on my shop. They broke ground coincidentally on my birthday. It was a good day.

TW

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Snider View Post
    Sill and structural floor going in:

Attachment 406411

I took a lot of flack from my framing helpers about the floor, which is 3” x 11 7/8” joists 12” oc. I asked the engineer to beef up the floor to a 200 psf live load, for some heavier machines. The cost difference was not much from a std residential or light industrial load.
    Maybe I missed something, but how are you handling heating, plumbing, and drainage? I really value the sink etc in my shop. Plus the liquid substances have to go somewhere...

Heating will be with a Rinnai ES38. Same as I’ve used in my garage w great success and minimal gas use. Will prob also have a small wood stove.

No bathrooms or water. Too much of an issue w getting to sewer plus bathroom in house is 15’ away. I know, even my Mom told me I was making a mistake but budget overruns have to stop somewhere.
    Last edited by Jon Snider; 03-30-2019 at 5:17 PM.

Jon -- I understand your pain. Rest assured that even those of us with an "in" in the construction trades often have difficulties arranging for subs. Them showing up as scheduled, in most cases, is a complete fallacy. My husband has 39 years of commercial roofing experience as a foreman/crew leader and knows many, many other tradesmen. That has helped our cause with our HVAC needs. On the other hand, when we needed a new roof on our prior home, 3 no-showed to bid the job, 2 looked at it and never bid and 2 bid the job. The 2 bids were so close in price, we told them that whoever got there first would get the job.

One thing that I did before I had my shop built was to study the local building code. By the time I was ready to talk to contractors and the county I actually knew more than some of them. It made the project run much smoother that it would have if I hadn’t done that. We still had some bumps in the road but those were caused by the architect and some new building codes. That cause about a two month delay while the new plans were drawn up.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

Dried in - set the four windows and got the roof on. I used an Owens Corning asphalt shingle, Woodcrest.

D25B9F23-11A8-4919-A76A-C64A29BB96AF.jpgB6E57813-86FE-425E-8578-3560FA74DC32.jpg06E1C4AC-76D8-4564-AE08-833D674210A2.jpg

Great, clean-looking construction! I bet it feels good to have the roof on and the windows in!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    ... clean-looking construction!...
    +1 - - Never seen roofers not leave a mess on the ground..?? (No offence to pro roofers, but I've just never seen it happen.)

Jon, you must know someone important.