Thread: Ad941 vs Hammer a341

Ad941 vs Hammer a341

Anyone have experience with both of this machines? I understand the machine differences and am most interested in the cut quality between them, if I take a board rip it in half and run one through each is there a notacible difference between the two in the end.
    With silent cutter block.

I could be wrong, but I think there was a recent thread on this very subject...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Hi, having used both machines in seminars, I would say no, the cut quality isn't basically any different.

Now, as you stated you're aware that the AD is a 4 post design with larger cutter, 2 feed speeds, more power, electrical height adjustment of planer table, 2 speed drive and on and on.

The larger diameter head could result in better surface finish in some woods however the planer isn't a finishing machine and the surface quality is great from both machines.

You're kind of comparing a pickup truck to a 5 ton truck, however you already know that...........Rod.

was probably me but it was buried in another post

Thanks, its kinda of what I expected but it good to hear from someone that has used both. I have the single phase 4hp which is the same as the a3-41, isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    Hi, having used both machines in seminars, I would say no, the cut quality isn't basically any different.

Now, as you stated you're aware that the AD is a 4 post design with larger cutter, 2 feed speeds, more power, electrical height adjustment of planer table, 2 speed drive and on and on.

The larger diameter head could result in better surface finish in some woods however the planer isn't a finishing machine and the surface quality is great from both machines.

You're kind of comparing a pickup truck to a 5 ton truck, however you already know that...........Rod.

Yes the A3’s are 4hp single phase......Rod

No experience with the Felder machine but I love my A 341 Hammer. With the Silent Power cutting head with the numerous cutting knives, it leaves a super smooth planed surface with no ridges or ridge marks that a straight knife machine leaves. The surface is so smooth that I am considering selling my 25" dual drum sander. I got that sander for the purpose of sanding these planer marks out. No matter how I set up the DisposA blade system I still got the marks.