Thread: maple log for riving

maple log for riving

Hello all, I haven't been on the forum for quite some time but I have a question now.

South Florida doesn't grow maple very well and I am looking for a nice maple log with the dimensions of 48 inch length and roughly 6 inch diameter. I am looking for a whole log because I will be needing to rive it, that is split it along the grain so that I can turn these split pieces 24 inches in length into Windsor chair legs.

My question to you folks is, does anyone know where I can acquire such a log and get it shipped down to me in Palm Beach Gardens Florida?

Oh, and if this is NOT the right forum, Admins please move it.

Regards,
    Bill Antonacchio
    Regards,
    Bill Antonacchio

got one come here with how you want it cut we will put it on the sawmill and cut it for you I believe it to be sugar maple, I have been wondering what to do with it. Dave in Cleveland ,Tn.

Hi David,

Thanks for responding, Windsor chair legs get their strength in the fact each piece is split from the log along the grain so when turned the grain is still intact from top to bottom of the leg. When wood is cut on the sawmill the blade does not follow the grain but rather cuts right through the grain. This is what you are seeing when you see cathedrals in the face of a board.

Also, don't think sugar maple is as strong as Hard maple. People leaning back and raising the chair on the back legs put a lot of stress on the entire chair. That is why the seat, even though only pine is thick, the legs and stretchers are are hard maple and the spindles, bow and crest are oak. Each species does it's part to make Windsor chairs be able to last for 250 years!

Thank you for your interest and if you can dig out a hard maple with the dimensions required, please let me know. UPS shipping from PA to FL isn't cheap but it does work. I buy wood from Groff & Groff over in Quarryville.

Regards,
    Bill Antonacchio
    Regards,
    Bill Antonacchio

I think sugar maple is also know as rock maple pretty hard the log is over 12 ft. and 14 inches on the small end it is whole so you can cut it however you want

I've never riven maple or made a chair but I have split hickory for tool handles with a froe. I'm wondering if it would be best to rive it before shipping. One reason is the maple logs I dragged up from where a neighbor is clearing for a cow pasture - it's sugar maple and the wood is clear, at least what I've lopped off to cut up into woodturning blanks. But the larger log, at least, is bigger in diameter than what you said and some pieces I've cut were not perfectly round, sort of "dimpled" on one side. Looking at the rings on the end grain I'm not sure it would split straight, at least on one side of that log. I can look at the logs tomorrow in the light, maybe try riving a piece if it's not raining too hard - can't remember if I got two or three logs. I do know I left the rest of the tree there for them to burn at some point since I only wanted the larger diameters. Maybe some of it from the top of the tree is more round and 6" in diameter. I can walk down and look and get what's left as soon as it's dry enough to get the tractor down there without getting stuck in the mud.

Would you split the 6" diameter into quarters or smaller pieces, use all the log? If not, it might be cheaper/easier to ship if split to the right sizes, perhaps from a larger log. (I'd probably saw a larger log down the pith with my sawmill then rive the halves.) Do you use it wet or dry it first? And just curious, do you need 4' or could a couple of 2' pieces work? (Actually, if you want 24" pieces I wonder if it would be best to get 26-28" logs to allow for some waste on the ends.)

Also, you might state what kind of maple you are wanting. Maple grows everywhere here (along with oak, hickory, cherry, poplar, persimmon, cedar, walnut and more) but there are several types here: the hard/sugar maple and the soft maples like silver maple and red maple. I don't particularly care for the soft maples for wood turning - are they good for chair parts? A lot of the larger maple is ambrosia. BTW, I'm not all that far from David P.

The guy will be clearing more when it dries up some and plans to burn all the trees I don't mark for them to save. I didn't even look for maples and nothing that small in diameter anyway except for dogwoods. I only dragged the maple logs back since the trees were knocked down by some cherry I went after.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Antonacchio View Post
    Hello all, I haven't been on the forum for quite some time but I have a question now.

South Florida doesn't grow maple very well and I am looking for a nice maple log with the dimensions of 48 inch length and roughly 6 inch diameter. I am looking for a whole log because I will be needing to rive it, that is split it along the grain so that I can turn these split pieces 24 inches in length into Windsor chair legs.

My question to you folks is, does anyone know where I can acquire such a log and get it shipped down to me in Palm Beach Gardens Florida?

Oh, and if this is NOT the right forum, Admins please move it.

Regards,
    Bill Antonacchio

Several interesting points to consider, and also to correct my misassumption. When I dug out my book Wood Identification and Use by author Terry Porter page 45 clearly shows Acer saccharum hard maple also called rock maple, sugar maple and white maple.

I had talked about a 4 foot log with a 6 inch diameter because that's what I calculated on the UPS website as something I could afford to have them shipped to me in South Florida. From what I understand and have seen on various videos turning Windsor chair legs starts with a triangular piece of straight grain hard maple sapwood with the triangular piece having at least a 1 3/4 inch central piece. 4 legs (24 inches) and 3 stretchers (a prox 18 inches) take care of the undercarriage of the chair and there is also maple used for what are called arm stumps which are the first pieces supporting the ends of the arm, additionally there are 2 short spindles on each side supporting the arm before the crest rail. I was hoping to be able to get enough splits out of the 6 inch diameter sapwood to produce these pieces.

If this first chair comes out alright I would hope to make additional chairs to complement the first. Any alternatives that anyone has to offer that fits the bill would be gladly considered and appreciated.

Also, I have ordered from another Windsor chair maker, Elia Bizzari , the set of oak rivings for the spindles, arm, and crest. The arm and crest are 48 inch long white oak that needs to be steamed and bent around a form. The spindles are made of red Oak that need to be trimmed first with a drawer knife and then a spoke shave to there final tapered shape. These also are riven from a log and are roughly 1 inch diameter to start. I will know how much it really is going to charge until after he has filled the order and applied shipping and handling and sends me an invoice so I'm only ordering one set to see how bad the damages are!

HardMaple.jpg

Mike Dunbar Leg Turnings: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvZ...najNhMw/videos
    Elia Bizzari web site: http://handtoolwoodworking.com/
    Curtis Buchanan web site: https://www.curtisbuchananchairmaker.com

Any and all help, suggestions and reasonable offers of wood are welcome.

Regards,
    Bill Antonacchio
    Regards,
    Bill Antonacchio

yeah and I got two red oak logs too.

Hi David,

I know my social graces stink, I'm 76 and have rheumatoid arthritis for the last 15 years, and we (my wife of 53 years) live on Social Security.

Not sure what you're offering, if anything, but any wood you have for sale that you're willing to pack up and ship to me down in this barren wasteland they call Palm Beach Gardens would be greatly appreciated.

I don't how to proceed at this point, if you're interested I can write a specific shopping list for logs and/or a list of specific parts that I need for the legs, stretchers, arms stumps, short spindles, long spindles, arm and bow that make up a Windsor sack back chair. Split not cut, the pieces need to be rived (split) along the grain for the strength of the continuous grain. That is why Windsor chairs two hundred and fifty years old are still together and usable today.

If you're interested, please quote me for 12 Maple splits (24 inch length) and 8 red Oak for spindles (24 inch lengths) shipped.

Further, the last part of the equation is can you find some of 48 inch length white oak, these splits should be at least 1.25" x 1.25" and 2 are needed but I would take 3 (one for practice in steam bending).

I do understand this is asking a lot, if it's more than you're interested in pursuing it's not a problem, I don't blame you, just let me know so I can continue my search. I envy woodworkers who have access to our native American hardwoods but I am here in South Florida and it is what it is.

Regards,
    Bill Antonacchio
    Regards,
    Bill Antonacchio

yeah and I got some white oak too. I was hoping I could just turn you loose and you could get what you want. I need to go to fla. this year my father lives in Dunnellon,fla. Maybe I could meet you in tampa, go ahead and look else where I will try to get back if it lets up here with my schedule. it is getting to be that farming time of the year and other stuff too.

May be worth calling these folks to see if they have or can get what your wanting

http://woodchiplumber.com/
    fort Lauderdale nearer to you

https://www.advantagelumber.com/tourFL.htm
    sarasota just across state

Steam bending,,,well you might want more than one practice piece.

And bending the bow and crest will go much better if you can get your hands on undried Oak. Sawn today, kept out of the sun and air and steamed today. Keeping it in an airtight wrapping might work, never tried that.