Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 12 inch Jointer advice

I set straight knives with a small board and two pencil marks. So simple, no gauges, no fussing, no money.

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy Warner View Post
    I set straight knives with a small board and two pencil marks. So simple, no gauges, no fussing, no money.
    Same, but a piece of aluminum.

Mike, if you can hold off until the big woodworking shows you'll find many manufacturers cut their prices substantially during the time of the event. I got about $1K off a 12" Hammer JP during the Atlanta show.
    “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness..." - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Wasner View Post
    Same, but a piece of aluminum.
    I use a strip of Boxwood. Takes about 20 seconds per knife. I wouldn't mind having one of the Byrd heads, but the time it would take to change the cutters would really be irritating.

Im not in a terrible hurry no, Ive been dealing with a 8" jointer for a while now and just want to do the upgrade right. I dont need to have the biggest or best but needs to be a functional tool that I dont need to fiddle with all the time. I never thought I would need more than my current jointer but I get a fair amount of material that is a bit over 8 inches and I glue up lots of parts for a particular item that are 8 1/2 inches wide and I could speed up the process of both glue up itself and cleanup after by just giving it a quick swipe over the jointer. I have byrd heads on both my jointer and planer and while it is a bit tedious to change they really dont need attention very often.

Here's how it works.

You have a 6", you want a 8"
    You have a 8", you want a 12"
    You have a 12", you want a 16"
    You have......

All this talk about jointers lately has got me looking for another.
    Im triggered
    Aj

I think you will find 12" is not big enough too soon.
    That minimax linked above seem to be a newer version of what I have and it seem to have Tersa head. I would take Tersa head over carbide insert for sure.
    It gives a very good finish and blades change in literally 2 minutes (and no setup required). I paid a lot less though for mine.

Here's how it works.

You have......
    A 30" and want a 36"

I will set up an 8", 16" and my 30" in my new shop, like to find a facer for myself as well.

Here's how it works.

You have......
    I had an 8" Grizzly helical head for several years and was generally happy with it but mostly did edge jointing. Then a 12" Delta/Invicta fell into my lap. It originally had Dispoz-a-Blade knives, which never really worked very well for me. I was able to to sell the Dispoz-a-Blade knives and stock head and replace it with a Byrd, and later added a power feeder. The times I have needed anything bigger are just about nil, and if I DO need to go wider I can use my planer with a sled. I think for a small shop that does a lot of solid wood, a 12" is the sweet spot. If you're mostly doing cabinets and face frames, then a 6 or 8" will probably be fine, and if you're doing big architectural pieces, then you'll want the biggest jointer you can find. That's how I got my 12"; the shop did mostly large commercial architectural projects and had 24 and 30" jointers and didn't need the little 12" any more.

Here's how it works.

You have......
    Yep. The absolute truth, and keep right on going. My 16" jointer isn't even close to being able to handle these......and I have a shed full of them off the sawmill.

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Heath View Post
    Yep. The absolute truth, and keep right on going. My 16" jointer isn't even close to being able to handle these......and I have a shed full of them off the sawmill.

This is where a router sled comes in.
    “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness..." - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Julie Moriarty View Post
    Agreed, especially for those of us who are hobbiests and either have to move machines to park in the shop or bring them to the basement.

Quote Originally Posted by Julie Moriarty View Post
    ...or a #8

Or a cnc

Extra characters