Thread: how to search for "1" " stock online

how to search for "1" " stock online

How to search for stock that is one inch thick online? I am often looking for metal stock that is one inch thick, one inch diameter, one inch hex etc. If it is 1+1/8, 1+1/4, no problems. But how to I search say Ebay for one inch diameter steel rod? Putting the 1 inside quotes returns all possible fractions with a one on top. And many things have a 1 in the model number etc.
    Bil lD.

Or a wrench or socket
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 03-07-2019 at 9:27 AM.

Try using "1 inch" steel rod. I'm not real familiar with eBay's search function, but this format would get you better results in Google.

Blog Entries
    Use decimal inches.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

I've wrestled with the same problem on ebay (I do metalworking also and often buy stuff for that on ebay) and I have not found a solution.

Try using "silver steel" in your search
    Good luck
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Trees View Post
    Try using "silver steel" in your search
    Good luck
    Tom
    Why? I am looking for mild steel not, tool steel. I do have to eliminate stainless.

Sorry, I didn't catch that bit, where you were looking for mild steel.
    I've only recently known/heard about silver steel, whilst looking for a local vendor to buy a straight edge from.
    Wondering if those vendors also sell mild aswell?
    Maybe you could try searching for "turning stock"
    Might just be another red herring?

Tom

look for 25mm if that slight undersize will work. Especially if looking for cheap steel from China, because the whole rest of the world is metric.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    Why? I am looking for mild steel not, tool steel. I do have to eliminate stainless.
    Bill,

Don't think you indicated the type of steel in your original post.

If you need to exclude stainless, put -stainless in your search (the minus sign is like saying "not").

If the word "mild" is going to show up in any listing you're interested in, put +mild in your search (the plus sign is like saying "must include").

Putting "1 inch" in your search is likely your best bet to get to 1-inch stock. Unfortunately, in a general search engine like Google (which may very well be what eBay uses as their search engine), I don't think there's any effective way to ask for "1 inch or larger." You might be able to do that at an individual company's site, where they have a search function built specifically for steel or metal products - but then you're limiting your results to that specific company's products.

Buying metals

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    How to search for stock that is one inch thick online? I am often looking for metal stock that is one inch thick, one inch diameter, one inch hex etc. If it is 1+1/8, 1+1/4, no problems. But how to I search say Ebay for one inch diameter steel rod? Putting the 1 inside quotes returns all possible fractions with a one on top. And many things have a 1 in the model number etc.
    Bil lD.

Or a wrench or socket
    Bill, the only time I searched ebay for steel stock I had trouble finding what I wanted what I found wasn't all that cheap. And if they don't describe the material well how will you know exactly what you are getting?

I end up buying most metals from Online metals: https://www.onlinemetals.com/
    They make it very easy to find an exact the size and type of metal. They have guides where appropriate describing the properties of specific alloys to help decide what's best for an application, for example these on aluminum and steel:
    https://www.onlinemetals.com/product...minumguide.cfm
    https://www.onlinemetals.com/product...steelguide.cfm

I found the quality excellent and their prices reasonable, especially shipping the 3' and 4' lengths shipped by UPS ground . I've bought a variety of steel, aluminum, and brass from them to have on hand to mill or turn. Their "variety" packs are an especially easy way to get stock to have on hand for unknown future projects, for example this round cold-rolled steel rod: https://www.onlinemetals.com/merchan...&step=4&id=265

However, when I want steel to fabricate something, say hot rolled steel for farm use, I go to a local steel supplier where prices are better and there are no shipping costs. The steel places here sell in 20' lengths but will cut as you want, the first cut for free. They also sometimes have short offcuts for good prices. A second great place to get shorts for good prices is a fabrication shop. The one I go to has bins and racks full of offcuts from previous jobs they sell for cheap.

BTW, the cheapest place is a metals recycling company down the road. They deal in scrap but also have bins and racks of certain metals. They sell at just over scrap prices and by the weight. No way to know what they have today but I check there first. I've found some amazing deals on things like thick aluminum plate, titanium tubing, and stainless steel sheet.

JKJ

Bill,
    Here is a search I did on Ebay for "steel rod 1 inch diameter". The search resulted in over 400 items. I normally order 1018 and 4140 alloy steel round bar (1 5/8" diameter and 1 1/2" diameter) from Castle Metals. They will cut the 12 ft. bars to 36" length to fit my cnc lathe. They also stock dom tubing, flat bar stock, and other shapes of mild steel and alloy steel. They have many locations around the country (and in Canada) and do not charge for truck delivery. IMS (Industrial Metal Supply) is also a good source. They are located in Arizona and California (they actually have a location right here in Tucson) and will also ship nation wide.
    David

1 inch steel rod on Ebay.jpg