Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The woodworking show.

The woodworking show.

The woodworking show is in Columbus this weekend. I was wondering how it has been in other places this year. I have been disappointed the last couple of years that I have gone.

Go and attend the free seminars. Best deal in the place. Hoping to go to Chantilly in a couple weeks, if health (renal colic) permits.

I went to the show in Toronto a couple of weeks ago, it was so busy I was astounded.........Rod.

I sure miss the shows from years ago. They were absolutely amazing. Lots of small vendors with things you didn't normally see. Big vendors with demos all day long. Plenty of quality stuff to spend money on. It was always a great day. I used to go with one of my friends to the Pennsylvania show and have a great day. I'm thinking they were around 2000, maybe a little earlier.
    Richard

I sent them a question via their website. Never got a reply. I have heard the number of vendors has gone down over the last 5+ years. When I went, it was worth the time. Not sure about now.

Just was to the Milwaukee, Wisconsin show a couple of weekends ago. The number of vendors was decreased. Some of the vendor reps seemed to be in a less than receptive mood for questions. The standards, like Lee Valley, Carter, and Woodpeckers are still always great with their staffs more than happy to answer questions about techniques and their products. I did get something out of the free seminars, especially Jim Heavey (from Wood Magazine). Roland Johnson is always a good source for information also. Plus, Alex Snodgrass, from Carter, is always interesting and I seem to almost always pick up something about bandsaws I didn't know. As far as I'm concerned, reviewing his bandsaw setup demo each year is always a reminder about how effective his method is for resawing. There used to be more new products at these shows, but maybe, after all the years they have been around, there just aren't that many new and innovative products out there every year.

I've started going every other year. Just not that much new one year to the next.

S.E. Tennessee ... just a bit North of Chattanooga
    I still remember the Atlanta show being held in a livestock arena in the south end of the city back in the early 80's ... GREAT shows .. $2.00 admission .. it took 2 days to see the whole thing. LOTS of vendors and great deals. Now ... $14.00 to get in, just to see a handful of vendors selling stuff at retail ... could have save the gas .. admission .. and time & just bought my stuff online. Not really worth going to any more.

I feel the free seminars are always the same.

They moved the NJ on to a worse venue in my opinion. Parking was good for about 40 people then the rest parked quite a bit farther away making buying wood no fun. Like others have said it is about 20% smaller. I did hit Lee valley to get some questions answered(good guys). Bought a grex 18gauge cordless nailer(good guy). And a couple things from woodpecker(always good). I enjoyed the inlaying demonstration at Tarter but otherwise missed all the seminars

I went to the Detroit show a few weeks ago and was suprised to see a Felder booth.

Bob

12. Wifey and I made a weekend getaway out of it and drove from Dallas to Kansas City to see The Woodworking Show and Missouri Star Quilt Company.
    Kansas City is a very neat place to visit.
    The quilting store was great and exceeded her expectations.
    Based on recent reviews of the wood show I had low expectations and it met those low expectations.
    I had only seen Alex Snodgrass once before a long time ago when the Woodworking Show was still coming to Dallas and I enjoyed seeing him in person again.
    The other "seminar" stuff didn't really interest me a lot but I listened in for a bit on a couple of them.
    No deals to speak of, not very many vendors. Since I was there and Woodpeckers had a show special $10 off the 6-8" square combo package I bought one.
    Considering the $28 for us to get in the door it was only $18 over retail...LOL
    Economically there's no way to come out on top if you drive 9 hours and stay two nights in a hotel but we both wanted to go see our hobby stuff and we had a fun trip.
    If it's local to you and your expectations are in check it's still fun to attend, if you have to do much of a drive to get there I would advise having another activity to go along with it.

I attended my first Woodworking Show last year in Columbus and found it to be okay. I also attended the bandsaw clinic with Alex Snodgrass and it was a treat to see and speak with him in person. I also bought several smaller items at the show. There are a variety of opportunities at the show as well as a chance to speak with various companies and venders, and a variety of seminars available if there are any you are interested in. That said, I'm not planning on attending again this year.

Last year I also stopped at Wood Werks in Columbus for a sale that they typically have to coincide while the Woodworking Show is in town - and which they are having again this year (10% off tools and machinery, 15% off hardware and accessories, 20% off lumber and plywood, and free food). I stopped at Wood Werks before going to the Woodworking show and bought my Laguna 18BX Bandsaw (which they had in stock, saving me the standard $75 delivery fee), and returned after going to the show to pick it up for the trip home. It might be something to check out while you are in town. https://www.facebook.com/woodwerkssupplyinc/

You guys are lucky. It doesn't come within 200 miles of me.
    Marshall
    ---------------------------
    A Stickley fan boy.

I just got back from the show. I sat through Jim heavey and Chuck Bender seminars. They were great as always.

The variety of vendors seemed increased but peach trees prescence was lacking this year compared to previous years. I was looking to get some bessey clamps as Peachtree usually has a good deal during the show, but they did not have any parallel clamps there. I will now have to find a good source for them elsewhere.

I am not sure if I will attend tomorrow or not. The schedule of seminar seems to be the same all weekend as today.

What did everyone else who went think?