Thread: Harbor Freight with mods vs Grizzly G0548ZP

Harbor Freight with mods vs Grizzly G0548ZP

This came up in another thread and got me thinking.. Actually got me confused more so thought to put into it's own thread.

Looking for some thoughts/discussion about my first DC system. Original plan was to get the HF DC and then add the Rikon impeller, open up the inlet to 6", change the bag to a Wynn .5 micron filter and install a 6" SDD cyclone and 6" metal ducting. The cyclone and 6" ducting will cost the same for either system so that's a wash here.

HF DC delivered $201.99.. Wynn .5 filter $232, Rikon impeller $120? ( They are out of stock till mid April. Won't show shipping costs but part is $99. Adding $20 for shipping) totaling $553.

Grizzly G0548ZP - Grizzly 1 micron filter, already has a 6" inlet. No modification to the DC required.. $635.

The Grizzly is $82 more. Actually it will cost me $104 more since I already ordered the HF unit which can be returned minus the $22 I paid for shipping.

So is the Grizzly worth $104 more vs the Harbor Freight model? Is the 1 micron Grizzly filter enough to keep the fine dust from forming around the shop? I've read nothing but good reviews on the Wynn filters AND the Wynn is a .5 micron so I will be loosing a little on the filter side. The HF with the mods have real life reports of 1500 CFM where the Grizzly states 1700 CFM. Is 1700 a real life number? HF is 115V where Grizzly is 220V. Not sure what impact that has... Grizzly has replacement parts available.. not sure what parts would be needed.. Grizzly new motor is $316 plus shipping.. The entire HF unit was $202 delivered so IF the motor goes I can purchase a new unit for less. Haven't heard of the HF motors burning out as being a problem with them so is available parts an issue.
    Kind of confused. Any help/thoughts is appreciated.

What is the hp of the Grizzly unit, and how big is the impeller. It is cheaper to buy a bigger unit, than buying a smaller unit and then upgrading. Personally I would not settle for less than a 3hp unit.

In answer to your questions...

Is the Grizzly worth $104 more...? All things considered and in having a chance to see the HF model in the store (and previously researching the upgrade options online), and in personally owning the G0548Z, I would say the Grizzly is worth the extra cost. The Grizzly was designed and built with the larger impeller, a canister filter, the steel connector from the impeller to the filter/collection bag, a sturdy and compact base, what appears to be a good quality motor & parts, and with the performance capabilities I have experienced I can very much recommend it. There seem to be many folks satisfied with the upgraded HF units so it can be an option too though. To fit in my budget, I considered going the HF route by starting cheaply and upgrading as the funds became available, but ruled it out and decided to wait until I could afford something more. Fortunately was able to find a great price on the Grizzly which seems to provide pretty good equipment at a fair value (I also have a Grizzly G0490 Jointer that I have been quite pleased with), and haven't looked back since.

I haven't found any problems with the filter and it provides superb filtering of the dust, leaving nothing that I have noticed in the air, nor a coating in my shop other than with what is at the point of my woodworking machines and that isn't sucked up by the DC (nor would be collected by any similar DC's). Shop air quality was the reason I held out for a canister filter over the less effective bag type filters. I have a homemade collector shroud for my RAS (which was a horrible source of mess prior to installation), and replaced the gravity collection bag for my TS with a 4" collection port, and while the collection is good on each, given their inherent design it isn't perfect. My BS has two collection ports which I have connected to a wye and into a single 4" blast gate via 4" flexible hose and collection there is great, with the same great performance at my jointer. The clearing flappers on the canister seems to do a good job of knocking loose the sawdust there, but once I install the SDD Cyclone, the cleaning needs there should be minimal.

I don't have the technical means to measure the G0548Z flow rate, but in my real-world experience, I have found the collection capability to be more than adequate. I have two of the DC intake ports each plumbed into a length of 4" PVC with a blast gate connected to the PVC / wye with a 4" flexible hose to each machine. I generally run one open blast gate at a time, though depending on my work process, I will at times run with two blast gates open simultaneously (one on each of the pipes), and in each mode the machines are kept clear and clean so I couldn't ask for more. The DC has a third 4" port but I have it capped off and it is not used at this time, though may utilized it somewhere in the future. In my case, the actual CFM numbers aren't too much of a concern and given that the performance is everything I need (and more), so I am very satisfied.

The Grizzly has a 9 amp draw on the 220 volt circuit and the HF DC has a 20 amp draw on the 110 volt circuit. A modification I made to my DC was to remove the switch (which was in an inconvenient spot for where my DC is located in the shop), and to wire the unit directly to the plug. I then placed the switch on the wall in a handy spot where it is easily reached and next to my machines, and I use it to control the receptacle for the DC - providing easy on/off functions and saving many unnecessary steps during the day.

In regard to Grizzly replacement parts... The previous owner of my DC purchased it new but before assembly he purchased a larger DC at an auction so placed the Grizzly in the corner of his garage where it sat for several years until he needed the space for another use and he listed it for sale. When we arrived, he couldn't find several of the parts that weren't assembled so while he scoured his shop (unsuccessfully) for the missing parts, I went to Grizzly's website to assure the parts were available and to check the pricing (which was actually reasonable). He apologized and quickly dropped the price to more than cover the parts and shipping, and once home I was able to easily order the parts which were delivered quickly just a couple days later. Each Grizzly owner I have spoken with have given glowing reviews of any dealings they have had with the company and their Grizzly products.

If you are a veteran (or active military), Grizzly presently has a 10% discount until March 15th which would drop the price over $50.

Dust Collector.jpg - Workshop b.jpg

I've been happy with the G0443 Cyclone I recently purchased from Grizzly. I was able to borrow a couple of tools from a friend of mine, and test the performance of the cyclone. At the _ends_ of my duct runs I was getting exactly the air speeds promised by Grizzly's specs. One of the runs I tested ran 20' to the wall, down the wall, took a right, then ran another 10' and then two 45s to the bottom of the miter saw station. I was also able to verify the 10.3" of static pressure. If anything the specs on the G0443 are a bit understated.

FWIW, I also like the "beater" stick on the Grizzly filter a bit more than the Wynn, which I guess you need to use compressed air on. Having done the compressed air against a filter before it is not fun, so I'd advise avoiding it. It's nasty, dirty work. If you don't wear a mask, outside, you've effectively made the whole filtering process almost moot, because it will spew dust everywhere. You'll also probably have to drag it outside, making a mess as you go.

I appreciate all help. It's good to bounce ideas off people who understand. I have a small hobby shop in my basement .. A 12" Compound miter saw and a 10" table saw are my main tools. Variety of hand tools, router, drill, palm sander, etc.. I have not been using ANY dust collection. I just sweep up / shop vac up when I'm done. I currently have dust all over the basement which is how this project got started. I don't have enough space in my work area so putting the DC about 13' away from the edge of my 13x20 area is where it will fit. Running 30+ feet of flex hose across the floor and swapping between machines is an option but not very desirable. That's why I am looking at ducting.
    The cyclone systems seems to be the way a lot of the higher costing machines are going. It makes sense to separate whatever you can before it reaches the filter. Adding a SDD to my system is something I want to do. I drew up a few VERY simple design pictures. Top two would be using the Grizzly G0548ZP. Second picture I spaced out the SDD further from the blower to reduce the sharp bends. The third is what I had planned for the HF upgrade. The HF version seems very similar to the new cyclone systems. Wouldn't I get better performance from option 3. Grizzly claims about 200 CFM more than the HF but with the extra hose and elbows required to attach the SDD I would assume that 200cfm would be lost.

Blower Design.jpg

Every item that I ever purchased from Horror Freight with en electrical motor eventually burned up. I have had zero issues with my Grizzly equipment (including a 3 hp dust collector in use for 9 years).

I’d go with the Grizzly.

Steve I think you're getting into areas where people really can't answer your questions. One thing I can tell you is every YouTuber I've seen with those Harbor Freight dust collectors replaces it. Not so much with going from 1 stage to 2 stage dust collection. However, cyclones are better than 1 stage collectors, but you pay for it. So trade offs.

Even if you do install the perfect dust collection system, it's never going to get all the dust. Lots of different reasons for this, mostly involving how to get the collection close enough to the creation of the dust, which is a moving saw blade in the case of the Miter Saw.

Then there are the tools that cannot be attached to dust collection for whatever reason.

So I feel at this point you need to decide for yourself what's the best solution for you, based on how much you want to spend, and what compromises you want to make.

I have the Grizzly G0548ZP you're talking about and it is an excellent dust collector. You will need a 220 outlet. You will be happy if you go with it.

Red
    RED

One should take some of the cfm numbers with a grain of salt. The HF unit even with the mods will not get you 1500 cfm and the 2 hp Grizzly will not get 1700 cfm. If someone claims the HF is getting that high of a flow, we need to see how they measured it. Often, it is with a fan anemometer which is not accurate. Realistic numbers are in the 700-800 cfm range max.

I have a 5 hp cyclone with a 15" impeller and barely get those numbers