Thread: Prototype Tool Measure

Prototype Tool Measure

It is still in testing, but seems to show real promise. https://youtu.be/WHXI_vGm_Ug
    Gary Campbell
    CNC Replacement & Upgrade Controllers
    Custom 9012 Centroid ATC

Very nice job. Will like to keep an eye on testing.

Very kewel!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

That's pretty slick, Gary! And a very smooth running machine, too.

David
    David
    CurlyWoodShop on Etsy, David Falkner on YouTube, difalkner on Instagram

Thanks for all the comments guys. I appreciate! It's been a fun project.

In response to a number of emails, I will not be selling this as a CNC accessory, but will instead use them as a tool measure device on my "Ultimate Woodworking Machine" routers and as a tool measure and digitizing "probe" on my SideWinder CNC wood lathes.

Imagine popping a spindle in the chuck, probing it and being able to "copycat" that profile in a few minutes.
    Gary Campbell
    Custom 9012 Centroid ATC

That's really neat. No risk of damaging pointed tooling on a touch off pad either. I wouldn't be surprised to see this as standard on larger machines.

I would say it needs to be larger to accommodate larger heads or tools.

It already is available in the non-woodworking world but then you get into separate tool measure devices (measuring in tenths).

My auto tool setter has a hard HDPE or Phenolic button on the top so when I do an auto tool height with a super sharp tool (single flute, single flute insert V bit) I do tend to get a bit of a false reading. The super sharp point will penetrate the plastic slightly. My regular tool setter has an aluminum face but still a plunger (like a touch probe) and its much more accurate but its way more accurate if you dial the feed down very slow.

Depending on the accuracy this would be the end all be all for me. The only large cutters I use are fly cutters and dead accurate tool height is not critical with those for me as they are for spoil board or slab surfacing.

Bummer wont be available as an add on but maybe with enough poking Gary will cave lol.

A question out of curiosity. Does it only measure the tool projection or can it also measure the diameter too?

I assume that if the proper macro was written it could measure the diameter.
    Gary Campbell
    Custom 9012 Centroid ATC

Thank you. I used to work in an aerospace machining plant. The cutter compensations had to be added for resharpened tools. Done automatically it would have saved a lot of tiger errors that resulted in expensive scrap.

Very nice job, Gary. I'm impressed by the speed of it.

We used a laser tool probe on our 5 axis machines when I was with MultiCam. Very precise and no chance of tip damage.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Bolton View Post
    Depending on the accuracy this would be the end all be all for me. The only large cutters I use are fly cutters and dead accurate tool height is not critical with those for me as they are for spoil board or slab surfacing.
    I was thinking some C axis tooling gets large in a hurry, and measuring cope and stick heads when you want to go the easy route on curved door parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Wasner View Post
    I was thinking some C axis tooling gets large in a hurry, and measuring cope and stick heads when you want to go the easy route on curved door parts.
    No doubt. Dead accuracy and speed gained would be phenomenal especially if the setups are changed relatively frequently.