Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sources for 6” Flexible Ducting that’s not crazy tight on metal fittings

Sources for 6” Flexible Ducting that’s not crazy tight on metal fittings

I’m being driven crazy by the 25’ of 6” clear flexible ducting that’s inside diameter is so tight, that I need to take needle nose pliars, a screwdriver, and a lot of time / force to pull the tubing around my Nordfab metal duct connectors. (Yes, I’m using the right adapters).

I have some black flexible ducting I just ran out of, that slips on fairly easily, which I then put metal clamps on. But this clear stuff is torture to install.

Anyone know some good vendors to find 6” clear flexible ducting that isn’t so tight?
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

I bought my regular pipe and 6" clear flex tube from Oneida and don't recall any problems hooking it up.

Have you tried to heat the flex tube with a heat gun or hair dryer. It will soften it up enough to help stretch it. I would try that before wasting more money on new tubing.
    My Dad always told me "Can't Never Could".

SWE

Can you slightly reduce the OD of your male connectors like this ?

In a pinch I have done it using two needlenose pliers.

Marc Edit - Looked at Norfab duct.. looks like the have rolled ring ends... so I dunno.

Crimper.jpg
    Last edited by Marc Jeske; 03-06-2019 at 12:53 PM.
    I'm pretty new here, not as as experienced as most. Please don't hesitate to correct me

Unfortunately can’t with the Nordfab.

I had the same problem fitting high quality clear flex to PVC. I did it like this:

• Cut the spring steel wire through the tough flex material and pulled out about a turn of the wire. (Required good cutters)
    • Lubricated the inside of the flex with a tiny smear of silicone grease.
    • Heated the end of the flex with a heat gun to soften it, then grabbed and pulled the end over the PVC with pliers.

Have no idea if this would work with your metal ductwork. Getting it started with the wire removed let me easily pull it that part over the end which then guided the part with the wire intact. I may have twisted the flex a bit in the "uncoiling" direction while pulling, I don't remember since it's been several years and I am elderly and feeble-memoried.

If that didn't work I'd probably cut a piece of metal or PVC that would fit inside the metal duct and fit easily inside the flex. I made lots of adapter rings like this for various places in my DC installation to make flanges, adapt to blast gates, etc. It's easy with PVC to make any size adapter ring by cutting a gap out of the circumference. I hold such things together with glue and/or sheet metal screws.

JKJ

No offence John, but that silicone grease in the shop scares the the helloutame.

Marc
    I'm pretty new here, not as as experienced as most. Please don't hesitate to correct me

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Jeske View Post
    No offence John, but that silicone grease in the shop scares the the helloutame.
    Certainly no offense taken, but just curious, what is it that frightens you? Perhaps getting it on wood and doing something to a finish some day? My shop is multi-use. I use silicone grease and silicone spray in the shop and around the farm. I've found nothing better for lubricating the big neoprene o-rings on poultry waterers.

Could use soapy water instead. Or maybe WD40.

Or even KY jelly. (I keep tubes of that and nitrile gloves for getting fecal samples from llamas. If anyone wants to help stop by.)

JKJ

John, it's been a goal of mine to one day respond to a post about getting fecal samples from llamas.

My bucket list is now complete.

I tried the heat gun, without removing the wire. Didn't help. It's interesting how one brand of black rubber tubing (or some polymer) is slightly larger and goes on quite easily, but the clear stuff is torture.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Alan,
    I was also going to suggest a heat gun, I did that the last time but in the end I had to make linear cuts into the pvc around the end of the tube. Where did this tubing come from?
    Jeff

Are you having an issue putting the hose onto a Norfab hose adapter or their pipe?

It was from Oneida. It’s 6”clear flexible duct.

The black duct I got years ago (wish I remembered where) fits easily.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lightstone View Post
    I got mine from ClearVue. Maybe they will send you a short sample to test.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lightstone View Post

The black duct I got years ago (wish I remembered where) fits easily.
    But what are you trying to stick the flexible hose onto? Norfab makes a hose adapter...is that what you're using or are you trying to shove the hose onto a section of pipe or a fitting?

Quote Originally Posted by James Biddle View Post
    But what are you trying to stick the flexible hose onto? Norfab makes a hose adapter...is that what you're using or are you trying to shove the hose onto a section of pipe or a fitting?
    That's what I used for the two quick disconnects I have (Nordfab) and the hose slips right on and tightens down nicely with a clamp without any crimping. My hoses were ordered from Amazon.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...