Thread: Moving on: mesquite bowl

Moving on: mesquite bowl

My next bowl is mesquite, about 11-1/2" diam by 5" tall. I added a glue block with recess to the bottom and a faceplate to the top. It runs pretty true from both ends. It has a few hairline cracks into which I squirted some CA glue to hold it together. The end grain sections are very hard. I changed my recess angle to 10 degrees.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Looks like it's going to be a very nice bowl.
    I have to wonder why you used a glue block instead of turning a recess on the bottom though.

Mesquite is nice to turn and looks great when finished. Curious too on the glue block - preserve depth of bowl?

I understand using a glue block on bottom to save height for bowl. Why did you not just put faceplate direct to Mesquite on top side that would be turned out? Did you have a void or some other issue to correct and overcome? Have safe fun.

Still trying to navigate this forum easily.
    I like to work from the right end for both ends, outside first, then inside. As someone noted previoiusly, I would lose only about 5/16" with recess in the bottom. This piece has a few hairline cracks. The chuck diameter is about 3-11/16. The base diameter will be about 5" I want to have plenty of good wood to hold the chuck This block is nice birch.
    Do some of you turn inside and outside from one setup, mounted on the bottom??
    Thanks, I always try to play safely.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy McCreight View Post
    Do some of you turn inside and outside from one setup, mounted on the bottom??
    I don't like to work like that, except for small things. I mount the top, usually with a screw chuck but sometimes with a recess, occasionally but rarely with a face plate. Turn the outside and base and cut a recess in the bottom. Reverse and chuck in that recess to turn the inside. Maybe reverse again and hold again with jam/vacuum/cole and remove the recess although the last few years I've been skipping that last step and leaving the recess (disguised with detail when initially turning the base.) I've put pictures here before - I like the look.

JKJ

Quite often I turn from one holding, especially with long vases. I do this with a screw chuck into a stout piece of strong hardwood glueblocked to my vase blank. Great way to hold on to wet green wood securely and not lose pretty wood or height. These are hollowed and finished on the glueblock. A steady roller helps with this.

I live in AZ so I often turn mesquite. Using turquoise InLace to fill those cracks looks great.

9. I'm new to turning. As in I've yet to turn anything but am spending all my time learning before I dive in.
    Question: How do you get the glue block off the bowl when you are done? Do you use a (gouge that looks like a knife) to cut it off?
    If so doesn't that defeat the purpose or do you still lose less if done that way?

Thanks
    Jer

Welcome to woodturning. I hope you find it challenging and rewarding to make chips and bowls, etc.
    I don't like to leave a dovetail recess in the bottom of bowls and boxes. To me, it is unsightly. Some don't dislike the recess. This bowl has a base about 5 inches diameter., and the mesquite has some hairline cracks which I don't trust. My 100mm chuck needs a recess about 3.8" diameter. The glue block is about 6" diameter, giving me more meat for the chuck to hold.
    So, how do I remove the glue block? I "reverse chuck" it on an MDF faceplate into which I turn a groove into which the rim fits snugly. (I don't have Cole jaws, which is another method.) When I turned the recess, I also center-drilled the block for a live center. The bowl is held against the faceplate with a live center. I use a bowl gouge to turn the block, proceeding slowly. I face off the bottom of the bowl, leaving a stub about 1/2" diameter which still connects the live center to the bowl. Then stop the lathe. I cut off the stub with a hacksaw, holding the bowl while sawing. I sand the remainder of the stub; some use a chisel. It might create some mystery: How did he hold it?
    Several photos might be easier to understand, but I don't have any handy. I might should take some more snaps of this bowl in process. Turning a recess into the bottom of the bowl would probably be faster, but it might not be as secure.

I took snaps of the previously mentioned hairline cracks in this mesquite bowl (filled with CA glue) and a peak inside after application of first coat of tung oil. It's about 11" diameter by 5-3/8" high.
    Attached Images Attached Images

What kind of glue do you use to hold wet green wood to the glue block?

13. Living in Arizona mesquite is a favorite of mine. Some projects and a source of wood (microburst three the tree through the block wall in to the neighbors yard).

20180417_155710.jpg
    20190322_165114.jpg
    20180428_112038.jpg
    IMG_0823.jpg
    20180209_132252.jpg
    20171222_151927.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Hipp View Post
    What kind of glue do you use to hold wet green wood to the glue block?
    In this case, I am turning very dry mesquite It's been a few years since I turned green mesquite. Or any green wood. If I recall correctly, I used white glue for green wood.
    Six weeks ago, I bought three pieces of partially dried mesquite from a nearby firewood seller, about 8" diameter X 24" long for a table lamp.