Thread: Any Bo Diddley fans?

Blog Entries

Smile Any Bo Diddley fans?

Any Bo Diddley fans here?
    A line in Dylan song from HW61RE got me curious about him. Never gave him any thought til that verse jumped out at me one day.
    So I searched out much of his work.
    This guy was phenomenal. Ahead of his time.

Don't know why the 3 videos without any exact connection in time, but I love his guitar and, particularly, the nightclub scene, a style of walk/dance like no other.
    "She walks like Bo Diddley and she don't need no crutch."
    https://youtu.be/aDJTWjnmI-g

Can't claim to be a fan but you are right, he was amazing. I got to hold one of his rectangular guitars at the Hard Rock in London years ago. A real thrill.

Jim

Yep. Long time fan. I have a few Bo Diddley CDs and more on the computer. Try the Muddy Waters, Howlin' Wolf and Bo Diddley with Otis Spann on piano recorded in 1967 Cd
    <span style="color: rgb(51, 51, 51); font-family: 'YouTube Noto', Roboto, arial, sans-serif; line-height: 14px;">

i still have a few albums with a few of these guys.

Not really a fan, but I do acknowledge greatness.

See also ...contemporaries Les Paul and Chuck Berry.

Les was simply magnificent, and could play anything magnificently, from ballads in the early years to playing with Rock Bands of the later days. Along the way he did a little inventing too.

Chuck Berry specialized in 'story songs' with unbelievable guitar work, plus the famous duck walk, all while singing. As I remember, he also was an adviser to several British bands.
    Last edited by Rick Potter; 03-06-2019 at 12:57 PM.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

One of my favorites

"Before you accuse me
    Take a look at yourself
    Before you accuse me
    Take a look at yourself......."

HUGE fan of Bo Diddley! His rhythms are fantastic, like no other...especially during his era. So, so many replications of his sound in rock music.

Jim

Count me as a massive fan. Bo Diddley was a real original. Supposedly on a personal level he was much more a gentleman than Chuck Berry too.

Here's an easter egg for you. Did you know Bo Diddley was the pawn shop owner in Trading Places? When Dan Aykroyd comes in to pawn his watch, Bo Diddley reluctantly agrees to give him $50 for it. Loved that.
    Real shame he didn't get a cameo appearance along with all the other blues greats in the Blues Brothers.
    Although it was pretty hilarious that Steven Spielberg showed up as the tax assessor clerk.

Washington DC around 1960. Knew someone who live just up the street from him. He rocked the neighborhood. He would ride around on a Vespa or maybe a Lamberta motor scooter white with red “Bo Diddley” painted on the side and the front with a guitar case strapped on his back. Real music with brass and strings of all kinds not just drums and guitars. What fun to listen.
    Jim

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by James Pallas View Post
    Washington DC around 1960. Knew someone who live just up the street from him. He rocked the neighborhood. He would ride around on a Vespa or maybe a Lamberta motor scooter white with red “Bo Diddley” painted on the side and the front with a guitar case strapped on his back. Real music with brass and strings of all kinds not just drums and guitars. What fun to listen.
    Jim
    Wow. Wish I'd seen him live.
    He had an air of confidence about him without a hint of arrogance.
    And I love the way he goes from his walk to his dance.
    Wish I'd checked him out sooner.

Time of big change in music. After I came home from my paid vacation in SE Asia a band had become 4 persons not 10 or 12 or 20. It was like all the instruments were gone. No horns, no strings except guitars. You had to search to find music. Bo Diddley and a few others were there. It was strange that a band was only 4 people. I guess it was hard to fit a band on to a TV screen on American Bandstand, studio wasn’t big enough, I guess. Why did they call it “bandstand”?
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Jobe View Post
    Wow. Wish I'd seen him live.
    He had an air of confidence about him without a hint of arrogance.
    And I love the way he goes from his walk to his dance.
    Wish I'd checked him out sooner.
    ack in 1960, 1961 I saw him play live several times in a tavern in Hamilton, Ohio. In my opinion, he was the real king of rock and roll; not to mention blues.
    B
    Bracken's Pond Woodworks[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]