Thread: Steel Bench vise options.

Steel Bench vise options.

Hi,
    It's taken a while for me to get here, but I am finally seeking a front vise for my new bench!!!
    I thought this would be the easy part. I was thinking I would simply order the 9-inch quick release steel vise Lee Valley offers made by York, I have read. ($239.00)
    Some reviews led me to research the following:

Eclipse Quick Release Woodworking Vise, 9-inch. ($191.00) and

Yost Vise M9WW Rapid Acting Wood Working Vise, 9-inch ($152.00) on sale from $194.00

Is there anyone who has some experience with these options? Is there any real difference?
    The only listed difference I see is the Yost boasts
    "... a buttress threaded main screw for powerful clamping".

Is Yost my best option?

Tools for Working Wood, Milwaukee Quick Release Vise...heavy duty......10".....$249.....made in the USA.

I’m in Ottawa and bought 2 Records about 5 years ag on kijiji for about $80 each. Both are excellent and are quick adjust. They are the ones Paul Sellers uses. I did not have to wait long to find them, just posted an alert on kijiji locally. I also have an older Jorgensen that I bought from Lee Valley similar to the steel one you reference. I like it but it is no better than the Records.

Trevor, is there a reason you’re limiting yourself to those three? Jorgensen, Wilton, & Record all make good quality vices in that price range. I’ve had a Jorgensen on my bench for many years.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

I've had that Yost vise for a little over a year, and have been happy with it - but (1) I don't do a tremendous amount of hand work, so it's not something I use every day and (2) I don't have anything to compare it to.

I assume the prices you mention are Canadian - Walmart has the Yost for $82 (US) right now:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Yost-Mode...RoC8q0QAvD_BwE

I've got 3 Made in England Records, two 52 1/2EDs and a 53 w/o the dog. Found all of them on Craigslist. Tremendous vises. The current Record vise clones are Chinese made and nowhere near the quality. If you're in a hurry and don't want to wait for one to appear, I agree with Joe about the Milwaukee vises. Pricey, but probably the best steel woodworking vise made today.

Quote Originally Posted by joe maday View Post
    Tools for Working Wood, Milwaukee Quick Release Vise...heavy duty......10".....$249.....made in the USA.
    I will vouch for the Milwaukee vises sold by TFWW, and add that there is also a 7" QR model for $210

I've had the 10" Eclipse for about 3 years and really like it. It does have a buttress thread on the main screw (kind of like an acme thread but optimized for transmitting force in only one direction). The vise is sturdy and has has very good clamping force - I've pressed in pulleys and bearings with it, ha. Also holds well when objects clamped to either side of the guide rods, with minimal racking- this was my main concern with this style of vise but it has not been a problem. I do have a vice lining made with non-slip drawer lining that helps by minimizing the amount of holding force required.

One of the biggest differences between these vises is the way the quick release is activated. Many of them are done by rotating the handle counterclockwise for a couple of turns, others (like the Eclipse) use a dedicated lever next to the handle. I like the second method better, the first style seemed awkward when I tried it out at the store (think it was a Jorgenson).

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    Trevor, is there a reason you’re limiting yourself to those three? Jorgensen, Wilton, & Record all make good quality vices in that price range. I’ve had a Jorgensen on my bench for many years.
    Hi,
    I've decided on this style because its the only style I have experience with, and I built the bench from a plan which had this style in mind. Ease of the install was important to me also. This is my first bench!!
    Also, paying to ship from the US is pretty expensive for us these days and thus mostly excludes those options, unfortunately. The Milwaukee Quick Release Vise mentioned above ends up being $334.55 after the exchange, plus shipping and then duty/import too.

Trevor, I have the Yost 9" vise but have not installed it yet. I bought it on sale from Amazon for a very low price but the vise is well made and Yost stands behind their products.
    The Buttress thread is much different then the Acme thread. The angle on the buttress thread is 45* and this really improves the action of the quick release mechanism. It also locks up tighter because of the 90* crest on the thread. Acme threads are 14.5*, 29* included angle, and as they are a strong thread, they do not work as well in this application.
    Last edited by michael langman; 03-06-2019 at 11:10 AM.

After a lifetime of using vises, I will never own another American quick release. I could go on all day why I despise them. The lever style is so much faster and positive. You squeeze the lever, it releases. You let go of the lever, it engages.

That is how the Yost vises work Bob. Quick release lever. More positive release, as you said.

I have a made in England Record vise on my main bench, and a made in USA Jorgensen vise on my assembly/outfeed table. Personally, I don't find the release on either one faster or more positive than the other-they both work well. If anything, the Jorgensen may be faster as there is no lever to squeeze or release. I've not seen anyone mention in this thread the one thing that I do find annoying on the Jorgensen, and that is that turning the handle CCW functions only as a release. The design doesn't allow the user to open the jaws more by continuing to turn the handle CCW, as is possible with the Record. Oh, and the loud sound the Jorgensen makes when using the release feature as the acme threads drag over the QR half-nut is annoying. If I could only have one, I'd be fine with either one but I do prefer the Record.

Blog Entries
    I have never been disappointed with Lee Valley. If something is wrong, they will make it right.