Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Questions on Bailey #7 restoration

Thanks Lowell for letting me know. We live in Montgomery which is quite a haul from bellaire. I dont go to Houston very often, but maybe could combine a trip to the club with one to Clark’s 🤗

Hi, Lever cap is fine ,could get repaired but I wouldn't , like Matthew Hock or Veritas iron / cap , I put them on a #4 and #5 and was worth every penny.

Mark, It sounds like your original screws are shot.

Where are you getting your replacement screws?

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Hampshire View Post
    Mark, It sounds like your original screws are shot.

Where are you getting your replacement screws?
    Kevin, some of the screws now have serrations around the edges from vise grips, but I think they are still serviceable. I got all the rust off with Evaporust and a wire wheel. We'll see if the screws still move smoothly enough when I put it back together.

I got sidetracked on a few projects and a quick vacation but hopefully this week I'll get back to the plane. I'm rebuilding my workbench right now to make it more suitable for hand planing.

I did decide to purchase a new iron and cap, so I need to order them.

Anyone else have comments on the Matthew Hock versus Veritas blades and cap irons?
    Mark McFarlane

FWIW, I ordered a new iron and cap set from Hock Tools. Lee Valley was out of stock, expected April 5th on the 2 3/8" iron sets.
    Mark McFarlane

So Pete, you're suggesting that Mark, who is trying to learn to use a plane and has decided to take a path thru plane restoration should first learn to braze? Mark, be forewarned, this is a big pool and Pete is directing you to the deep end.

Yep, that's exactly what I'm suggesting. If Mark has ever sweat a copper pipe to another copper pipe, he can braze. I think Mark can tread water!

Blog Entries
    I use Veritas irons and breakers in my Bedrock Planes. I highly recommend them.

Thanks everyone for the help, including possible repair techniques.

I reassembled the plane today. Left the cap iron chipped as it was, put in the new Hock blade and chip breaker, and it is shaving wood as expected. The pitting on this tool was very deep (seriously, maybe 50 years buried in the dirt...), so the sole isn't like a mirror, more like an unintentionally corrugated sole , but it makes nice shavings. I really munged up the screw that holds the cap iron in place, it was rusted/frozen, so its not getting the best purchase right now. Some other adjustments aren't as smooth as they should be, so it still needs a little work and maybe a couple of new screws, but it shaves better than I expected.

My trials were in maple edge grain (butcher block workbench surface) and I got some occasional tear out, but I expect it will take many hours of practice and further tuning and sharpening and eventually I'll get better.
    Mark McFarlane

Blog Entries
    but it makes nice shavings. I really munged up the screw that holds the cap iron in place, it was rusted/frozen, so its not getting the best purchase right now. Some other adjustments aren't as smooth as they should be, so it still needs a little work and maybe a couple of new screws, but it shaves better than I expected.
    Making shavings is what counts.

Check the Saw Mill Creek Classifieds. Someone has listed a ton of Stanley plane parts. They may have what you need.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    I love Clark's as well. I need cypress for four lawn chairs.

Definitely keep going. The worst that can happen is that you have a little fun & frustration in the construction of door stop. But more likely you will end up with a nice user plane that will serve you well for many years.

IMO, a new lever cap is the way to go. I just checked and they are about $25 including shipping. However, the one you have will likely do to limp along for a little while. A new Hock iron and cap iron will add more to the plane's usability than most anything else. Unfortunately, Mr Hock is very proud of his blades too. Fortunately, he has some justification for this attitude. I'm gradually Hocking or is it Hockizing all of my old planes.

Be sure to post pictures when complete.

Allen

Quote Originally Posted by Allen Read View Post
    I'm gradually Hocking or is it Hockizing all of my old planes.

Allen
    Actually, the proper term is "hockefying"

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Bailey View Post
    Actually, the proper term is "hockefying"
    Thank you! I stand corrected.

Allen