Thread: Minimax CU300 scoring blade difficult to raise/lower

Minimax CU300 scoring blade difficult to raise/lower

I just replaced the trapezoidal scoring blade on my CU300 with a shimable set.

During the process I had to raise and lower the scoring blade several times to get the shim thickness correct.

When the scoring blade is all the way retracted it is very easy to move up/down, but the last 5-7mm is very difficult for me. It takes most of the strength I have in my hand and a minute of work to turn that tiny little knob. I have pretty strong hand strength today, yet I can imagine when I'm 70 I won't be able to raise and lower the scorer.

For full disclosure, I did have to replace the scoring belt last year after tilting the main blade when the scorer was up, causing the scorer to bind and breaking the rather expensive belt. I think, but am not positive, that the scorer is more difficult to raise/lower after that incident.

Anyone else having this problem? Any ideas for a potential solution?
    Mark McFarlane

Was the locking lever getting tight in that direction? (My S315WS has a lever that makes the scoring blade knob get really hard to turn...)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

That is the way it is (at least mine is and others that I have searched on as well). One of the more significant design flaws imo. Plus some have ended up stripping the screw that actuates it.

A T handle wrench helps, and be sure there is no sawdust in the allen head so you get full engagement.

And the belt can have a tendency to come off and is not friendly to get back on. You are experienced with that it sounds

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Was the locking lever getting tight in that direction? (My S315WS has a lever that makes the scoring blade knob get really hard to turn...)
    Jim, I have locks on the main blade's tilt and elevation, but no locks for the scoring blade. Unless there is one hiding somewhere...
    Mark McFarlane

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Beckett View Post
    A T handle wrench helps, and be sure there is no sawdust in the allen head so you get full engagement.
    Carl, Do the current knobs just pull straight off the threaded shafts? I haven't tried to remove them, but a T handle would be a big help.
    Mark McFarlane

Quote Originally Posted by mark mcfarlane View Post
    Jim, I have locks on the main blade's tilt and elevation, but no locks for the scoring blade. Unless there is one hiding somewhere...
    I will try to remember to take a photo but it will not be today...I'm taking my older daughter to the Philadelphia Flower Show. (She's a florist)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...