Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Best Gluing Practice with Shop Sawn Veneer?

John:

I've usually used Unibond 800, with great success. No issues. Also had good success with Ultra-Cat PPR, which I usually just pick them up from Veneer supplies. I generally use that for shop-sawn veneers.

The majority of the veneer I work with is sapele, so open pored, and I've had no bleed through issues with those.

I have an easier time finding Ultra-Cat than Unibond.
    Last edited by Alan Lightstone; 03-10-2019 at 4:54 PM.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    A tech guy for contact cement company told me the average life is 8 to 10 years. But he added it could last longer or fail
    sooner. When it fails before being sent to job site the laminate guys don't ask tech guy what went wrong they just redo
    with same stuff.
    My glue ups are 25+ years and they are like new... except one that presented some gluing faults just one year or less after the construction...

Thanks, Osvaldo. Without your work the stats would be worse.

I don't use contact cement on anything that could be considered "heirloom furniture", just millwork applications that are likely to be replaced within 20 years.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.