Thread: HVLP vs Brush vs Pad

HVLP vs Brush vs Pad

I'm working on a crafting stand for SWMBO ... coating with General Finishes Enduro Poly. I usually spray pretty-much everything outside with the HVLP, but, with our current cold-weather-snap decided to experiment with 'padding' using a common edging pad ... best 'option' I had available for a 1st try. While I am able to fairly quickly wipe-on, the 'undulations' aren't very appealing and 'tipping-off' is definitely challenging. I went to the local S-W and acquired a pad that seemed softer-finer. The 'application' went-on a little better: undulations were less un-even ... but the same challenges with 'tipping-off' continued. It seems that I'd likely get better results by applying with the pad ... then tipping-off with the Gramarcy brush. I've had pretty good results just using the Gramarcy brush; though I've never been able to get the same even coat as with the HVLP and always was 'urgent' about keeping a wet-edge.

If someones had some good experience with 'padding' ... please pass-on the info about where-to-buy the pads and any advice about techniques to use.

You can increase the open time by adding Extender. I typically add 3% even when spraying so that it flows out better. For padding/brushing, etc. 5 or 6% might be a good place to start. That should give you enough time to tip off before it starts to set up. Worth a shot. A bottle is only $12 or so.

John

Thank you, John ... it never occurred to me to use extender with the Enduro... I have used it for rolling-on wall paint. I've always thinned about 5% for spraying and used a tip that would produce droplets that would flow-out. I tried a water-thinned sample and got improved results. Went to the store and bought some Extender ... then got noticeably improved results. I'll continue to use the 'process' for other small and 'lower-grade' projects such as the crafting stand and shop projects. I'll be sure to keep a supply of Extender on-hand from here-on.

Glad to hear it helped, Sam. Similarly, Extender increases the open time with WB stains which can be a great benefit when working on large surfaces.

John