Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: what's happening here?

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Lomman View Post
    ...Penetrating epoxy will always leave the surface in need of sanding before proceeding to the next coat. It is a bit much to expect otherwise...

So far you have not done anything wrong. In fact the job is going exactly how it should...
    This.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Townley View Post
    ...Donald had said I could purchase "fish eye eliminator" to add to the epoxy...
    NEVER add anything to epoxy that was not specifically recommended by the formulator!

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Townley View Post
    I plan on using two coats of epoxy; and then cover with a couple coats of varnish.
    I'm giving it four or five days between coats for the epoxy -- sand with some 180 and recoat.

The number of epoxy coats required will depend on the job, not on what you decide to do. Waiting 4-5 days between coats is extremely unwise. Better to apply the buildup coats before each previous coat has had a chance to cure fully. Then block sand everything down once thoroughly cured and apply finish coats.
    Last edited by andy bessette; 03-14-2019 at 12:43 PM.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

Quote Originally Posted by andy bessette View Post
    This.

NEVER add anything to epoxy that was not specifically recommended by the formulator!

The number of epoxy coats required will depend on the job, not on what you decide to do. Waiting 4-5 days between coats is extremely unwise. Better to apply the buildup coats before each previous coat has had a chance to cure fully. Then block sand everything down once thoroughly cured and apply finish coats.
    Guess I better contact the distributor
    Thanks

It's not heat that makes the air bubbles go away. It's the carbon monoxide
    in the flame that breaks the bubbles... Don't use a heat gun...

Wayne is right of course about coating the back. Put your full finish on the back for practice before you return to the show side.

And progress pics of the boards and truck parts would be fun. We've all seen pictures of gorgeous show cars but we are into the process of making things.