Thread: Replaced Smoke Detectors

Replaced Smoke Detectors

We smelled fumes and thought it was the furnace since it had just started. It went away and we could find no cause. It had been inspected and given a thumbs up a few months ago. Decided to replace the smoke detectors (1985 vintage). Got new ones with CO detection. While installing and with mistake that had them bleating for a few minutes the cats went crazy. It seemed to be the voice was more maddening than the bleating. Smart cats I guess.

I'm surprised your smoke detectors lasted that long. The recommended service life is 10 years. When mine hit 11, they started beeping randomly. Replaced all 12 of them. No more 3 AM wake-ups.

The new ones come with an integral 10 year battery. You can't even hook them up to AC power.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    The new ones come with an integral 10 year battery. You can't even hook them up to AC power.

Mike
    I just replaced some yesterday that still has the 9 volt batteries Kiddy brand. My daughters new house has hard wire units in it and one was bad and went off constantly

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post

Mike
    Just installed 5 AC versions in my son's basement last week, all interconnected with 14-3. Four smoke only, one combo unit. All from HD and with 5 year battery backup. Yea, 90% of their detectors were battery only. I needed them interconnected and inspected during an electrical final.
    NOW you tell me...

Several years ago California required CO detectors installed in all EXISTING houses.
    Bill D

We're foster parents.
    Part of our annual home inspection process is reviewing CO2 and smoke detector viability.
    Young enough to remember doing it;
    Old enough to wish I could do it again.