Thread: Best Interior Paint for an Airless Sprayer

Best Interior Paint for an Airless Sprayer

We are gutting the entire first floor of the house. The plan is to spray the new doors and trim before install and the walls as well. Any one have a favorite paint for airless spraying. I have the Graco Magnum X5. This paint is for my own house so cost is not a really a factor as much as quality of application and durability, etc. Thanks.
    Last edited by John Goodin; 03-05-2019 at 12:59 PM.

Sherwin-Williams Premium Wall and Wood primer, and waterbourne Pro Classic for the doors and trim. Walls are your choice, but I'd still stick with S-W. I like how it sprays, and self-levels a Lot more than box store paint, and I have only ever used the high end ones. I don't know if the gun that came with that pump will take the Fine Finish Low Pressure tips, but if it doesn't, a tip guard that will take one, from either Titan, or Graco, should screw right on that gun. You can spray at a very slight little over half the pressure of the tip that came on that gun, and have a lot more control, with many times less bounce-back.

For the walls, I would use a 515 FFLP tip ( or larger if using some wall paint that I don't know about), and for the trim, probably a 308 FFLP, or 208 if it's all narrow. The first number is half the width of the fan, and the second two are the size of the orifice. For a wider fan, you need a larger orifice.

Practice on cardboard first, gradually turning the pressure up until you don't have hard lines on the edges of the fan. One foot long pass will show you what you need to know, so you don't want to waste a lot of paint setting the gun. A pressure gauge is nice so you can go back to where it worked for a particular coating, without having to blow out a lot of unecessary paint.

Thank you so much. I need a new 515 and my sprayer can handle fine fine finish tips so I will pick one up. I didn’t think a sprayer could push through an 08 orifice but I’ll get a 308 since half the trim is 5.25” base. I was thinking I would have to get a FF314.

Have you ever sprayed the Emerald Urethane? The rep at SW says it dries hard and is great for doors and trim.

Never mind about the Emerald Urethane, just read it is oil based.

I only run water through my airless rig anymore. I don't know much about that pump. Mine is a 25 year old commercial one, that I bought new, but I'm using a new gun. If you buy a FFLP 308, and it doesn't work, I'll buy it from you, since the loss would be from my recommendation, and I can use it anyway, so it would be no loss for me.

I use SW Emerald or BM Aura for interior walls.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I always sprayed and rolled Glidden painted hundreds of houses and drug stores with it.

Another vote for SW. we sprayed our whole place in flat white after we got the demo done. It really made it a breeze when we finished each room out with a coat of color. Proclassic is a great product as well, we did all our cabinets in it.

This is a recommendation form after my time. But it’s what I see people doing on site when im out installing.

When I was painting Ben Moore satinimpervo was the gold standard. Ok well Fine Paints of Europe formerly Shroder was the gold standard but that’s besides the point as you would spray both threes paints on site with a pressure pot.

These days I see propel spraying Ben Moore Adanctech more than anything else. It’s seems to,lay down well with the right tip and good prep underneath it.

I have no love for latex anything except on ceilings and walls but it seems it’s all that availible anymore unless you know someone and or ok with your white trim tunining yellow innshort order due to the good stuff being taken out of it.

Don’t buy anything but BM or SW..

Satin Impervo (Acrylic) is BM's similar product to SW's ProClassic (Acrylic) and both are excellent trim paints. (I believe that both are also still available in oil based, too, if I'm not mistaken) BM's Advance is an emulsified alkyd water borne finish that (eventually) dries to a very hard surface and is nice for things like cabinetry. None of these products would typically be put on "walls".
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I sprayed a large room recently, and used Pro Classic on walls, and trim. The only reason I did was because the owners wanted everything Satin white. So didn't bother to mask, or cut in anything other than the windows. Anyone who has seen it says it's the most perfectly smooth walls they've ever seen. Pro Classic cures so hard, and is really nice to sand the next day. We went over the walls, after the first coat, with a ROS and 180 grit, wiped it down, and laid on the top coat. Several people have asked if those are sheetrock walls.

I'm not suggesting to do that all the time, but the extra cost of the paint was a lot less than extra labor would have been using two different products.

Use a fine sanding sponge on the trim the next day, and it should finish perfectly.

I just take the tip guard off, clean that and the tip, and drop the gun in a bucket of water until the next day.

A lot of architects call out BM Impervo CVS calls for Glidden to be used on there walls. We have had painters use other paint and when the CVS people came through they would check to see what paint was used and have them repaint if not Glidden. You have to go by what is on the spec sheet.