Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jessum Stock Guides

Jessum Stock Guides

Anyone have them and are they worth the money? They appear to add an added safety dimension.

I've used them, but do not own them. IMO, they are a worthy addition. I just need to save up my pennies.

I have them and although they are right there and easy to use I do not engage them very often. Two reasons. One: The front guide is easy to set for board thickness, but the trailing one requires taking the same board and going behind the blade and fitting it. That is solved if on remembers to set them for thickness before setting the fence. But still a real pain for large pieces of say, plywood. That, or you have to lower the blade. Not a deal breaker but annoying. Two: and this is really a safety problem, when using the guides and removing less than 2 inches there is minimal room for a push stick between the fence and the blade. I made a long narrow push stick just for this problem.
    So the guides work best when ripping off several inches on boards and sheets, but narrow ripping not so well.
    That said I also have the guides for the router fence and they are a great investment. Both are very well made, and will last forever.

I have the guides for the router and tablesaw. I agree with what Bernie said. You need to set the guide height before setting fence or you need a cutoff of the same height. It can be a pain. Narrow cuts do get in the way of using a push stick. The guides are very well made and work well at keeping stock against the fence.

I have the table saw version, and agree about the narrow ripping problem. It can be done with a narrow push stick, but you also have the problem of them interfering with the blade guard on a really narrow cut. Also a good idea to wipe the wheels down with rubbing alcohol occasionally; sawdust can make them slippery, just like some push blocks.

That said, I'd buy them again without hesitation.

I have them on both my table saw and router table and love them! They work great!
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

I have these on my router table and use them all the time.
    They improve both safety and quality. I would not be without them now.

Regards,
    Phil

I have them on my saw and what has been said about setting them before the fence is set is true. With that said I like them and feel safer and I feel the cut is better for using them. I would buy them again.

I use them on the router table. Much easier to use than fingerboards.

Blog Entries
    I recently got a set and they are great. I wish I had gotten them long ago. They are very well made, and work exactly as they should. I remember wavering on spending so much, and then when I opened the box and saw how well they are made, I said, "Aha- no wonder these aren't cheap!"

For the folks who like them, what do you use as a push stick?
    (and do you use these with a splitter?)

Matt

I use the router table version and they work very well. You need to keep an allen wrench handy to tighten them down, hand tight on those small knurled metal knobs won't hold for very long.
    Mark McFarlane

I have both types. Love the router version on my router table. I like the table saw version, but don't use it as much. I do use it with a riving knife, and sometimes use a long dowel to shove thin cuts through. You don't need a real push stick that holds the wood down, the guides do that.

My favorite use for both types is processing multiples of cabinet rails and stiles. You just use the next one to push the work through, and they work wonderfully on both router table and TS.

I like to make a bunch of rail and stile blanks about 1/4" too wide, let them acclimate a few days, and get the tension out, then joint one side, followed by cutting to final width as mentioned above.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Hills View Post
    For the folks who like them, what do you use as a push stick?
    (and do you use these with a splitter?)

Matt
    I have the same questions.

I use it with a blade guard and splitter. I have a bunch of push sticks I use generally depending on the cut and the size of the board. I still use these. On narrow cuts, I position my guides so I can start using a push stick after the infeed guide and before the outfeed guide. It really depends because every cut is different. If a cut gets too narrow I remove my guard and dont use the guides.
    Last edited by Mark Carlson; 03-06-2019 at 8:00 AM.