Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Jessum Stock Guides

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Hills View Post
    For the folks who like them, what do you use as a push stick?
    (and do you use these with a splitter?)

Matt
    Similar to what Rick Potter posted, I use a long skinny piece of ash to push the stock through. The guides are pushing the stock down and toward the fence, so you just need something to move it forward. The push stick needs to be thinner than the stock, because it sometimes needs to pass under the guide wheels.

I use the riving knife, but sometimes have to remove the blade guard for really narrow stock.

I recall watching some Jessem videos that (I think) demonstrated how to handle narrow stock. It's a little nerve wracking at first, simply because you're used to having to apply downward/sideways pressure with a normal pusher.

I use the blade guard with the splitter or the riving knife if not ALWAYS. I just keep around a few different style push sticks to work around the Jessum Stock Guides when needed. Its pretty simple.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

Are these any more effective than the "Board Buddies" that I have used in the past? Thanks
    Rustic? Well, no. That was not my intention!

I had the Board Buddies years ago and they have similar problems as the Jessem guides but stuck out from the fence much further. Again great for plywood and wide ripping, but if I remember correctly hard to get out of the way unlike the Jessem.
    I have a aftermarket splitter/riving knife on a Powermatic 66. That is the good safety device to minimize kickback and keep a board against the fence too. The Jessem Guides are good but overpriced in my opinion.

Bernie, what after market splitter/riving knife did you get?

I have the router table ones. On the tablesaw I use Grrrrippers for small/narrow stuff, and sometimes use with Jessem featherboards for long, accurate ripping. I love all three of these tools. My buddy has the table saw guides. He likes them with the same complaints that others have mentioned. I think what I do is more versatile and safer, especially for small pieces. Grrrrippers are expensive, but worth it once you've used them for a while.

I have them on my router table and don't care for them. Very little variation in the thickness makes the wood very hard to feed. Excellent concept, if they was spring loaded they would be perfect.

I think they are great for ripping. I usually have scrap the same thickness to set them up, so that is not an issue with me. I haven't set them up on the router table yet though. Wish I had seen Dave Stanton's install using Magswitches, to make them removable. Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Gibbons View Post
    Bernie, what after market splitter/riving knife did you get?
    The brand is Shark Guard. Works much better than nothing! I was able to adjust it for my blade dead on. Not too hard to remove. Comes with a guard that I do/will not use.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie Kopfer View Post
    The brand is Shark Guard. Works much better than nothing! I was able to adjust it for my blade dead on. Not too hard to remove. Comes with a guard that I do/will not use.

Thank you.