Thread: re-insulating shop ceiling

re-insulating shop ceiling

Spent the afternoon yesterday adding fiberglass batting to my shop ceiling. What I have is a pole building with a suspended ceiling, and when I first put up the ceiling laid 2x4 fiberglass r19 above the tiles. Later decided it needed more, so laid r11 between the trusses over the r19. Found the r19 batts had shrunk down to about 1 1/2" thick. So now I have some more rolls, and am laying over the bottom cords of the trusses over the whole mess. These cold days are making it tough to keep the shop heated. This morning it was 0 degrees F. Pretty tough on an old coot crawling around in the attic.

Got another third finished yesterday, really was itchy last night. The last third will be hardest, as I have the center floored, and looks like I need to build up the joists, put down the insulation, and then put the flooring back down.

The fact that the original R19 "compressed" like that is a little troubling...that's just not supposed to happen. 'But glad you're able to take care of it.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

With a suspended ceiling you may want to stick with batt type insulation, not sure.

But I can tell you that a couple years ago I used blown in Fiberglas insulation in the 1200 square foot house I am renovating next door with great success. Put 16” plus in that area in four hours, with my son in law feeding the blowing machine, which was free for use with the insulation purchase.

You may be beyond the need now...but it is something to consider if you need more insulation in the future.
    Too much to do...Not enough time...life is too short!

Think I am stuck with batts because of the suspended ceiling, was kicking myself for not tearing the old pole building down, and building a new building with a concrete foundation, wood floor and a SR ceiling while I was working on the ceiling. I have used a blower, amazing amount of insulation you can put in in a short amount of time. And it seals so well, going over the top of the joists. I got in the habit of putting a row of waferboard between rafters, leaving a gap of 1/2 to 3/4" so the blown in insulation does not fall into the overhang, and leave a little gap for air to circulate.