Thread: Bleeding through

Bleeding through

Can anyone tell me if General Finishes dye stains has the tendency to bleed into a top coat of Target's EM 6000 acrylic lacquer? Thanks

I have used both together many times and have not noticed any problems. The only issue I had was when I sprayed a coat too heavy and you could see the dye in the run that was forming. Remember it is a "like on like" situation. Meaning a waterborne finish over a water base dye can redissolve the dye. If you are overly concerned you could always spray a light coat of shellac to lock down the dye, and it will add some warmth to your color.

Thank you, Robert.
    I was thinking of applying a thin coat of shellac as a barrier coat but wasn't sure if that was the right answer. A 2lb. cut with denatured alcohol to 1:1 ratio?

Stains and finishes with the same base will always bleed together to some degree. It is not a fault to be avoided. It means they are compatible and therefore less prone to failure of adhesion between the stain and coating material. With all types of coating, spray a lighter, thinner coat first up, de-nib and then proceed with the required number of coats to complete the job. Cheers
    Every construction obeys the laws of physics. Whether we like or understand the result is of no interest to the universe.