Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What's your favorite woodworking sound, tool, task, thing, sight, smell, etc.

Love the smell of 100+ year old heart pine.

I also like the sound of a no.7 taking a long shaving.

I like the sound of a well tuned rip saw cutting hardwood in full stokes. You can hear the tone change in the plate. A little like running your hand down the keyboard of a piano. If you have one tooth out of set you can hear and feel it just like a piano the plate just vibrates differently and disturbes the atmosphere.
    Jim

There should be a Like button for this thread

For me it is the sound of a sharp handplane going "SSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIICK! along a panel, with the sight of a long, straight shaving flowing behind .....

Regards from Perth

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by mark mcfarlane View Post
    For me its probably sitting in a freshly cleaned shop with a cup of coffee contemplating whatever I will do next.
    Shouldn't that read... "For me its probably sitting in a freshly cleaned shop with a cup of coffee contemplating whatever mess I will make next..."
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Definitely it is the sight of a cabinet door or drawer with an even reveal on all sides...as planned, not by accident. Even a perfect handcut dovetail joint doesn't trump that.

Simon

As a retiree, for me it is the sound of a cap popping off a micro brew after a fun day in the shop!

Am I the only one? Must be my German (plus a little Scotch and Irish) heritage...
    Too much to do...Not enough time...life is too short!

The smell of saw dust, the sound of a hand plane, and the lamentations of the women. (Sorry Conan)

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Space View Post
    As a retiree, for me it is the sound of a cap popping off a micro brew after a fun day in the shop!

Am I the only one? Must be my German (plus a little Scotch and Irish) heritage...
    Or that little 'erk' of the cork coming out of a bourbon bottle...

Unclamping a good glue-up.

The sound of my unisaw bullet motor starting up, Most satisfying is glueing up a raised panel door and finding that its perfectly square

For me it begins and ends with anything I can cut on my bandsaw,just love using that machine.

My favorite thing is feeding a rough-sawn board into the planer and seeing the color and grain of the planed wood coming out the other side. And the smell of the freshly-planed wood.

Second would be chucking up a chunk of green wood on the lathe and getting a shop full of long curly shavings off that green bowl blank. Especially something like black birch - the smell is amazing.
    Jon Endres
    Killing Trees Since 1983

Two fav aromas: Johnson's Paste Wax and Shellac freshly cut with DNA.

Fav woodworking result: an excellent match of grain wrapping around amplifier chassis' corner miters after the finish is first applied.

The hum of the bandsaw starting up is always pretty cool to me. On the flipside, the awful racket that the guides make is the worst.

Oh and I love the smell of cedar. I love handplaning cedar. I love the feel of freshly planed cedar. I guess I just love working with cedar.

For me it's applying that first coat of whatever finish I'm using and seeing the true colors of the wood reveal. I love seeing that change that happen. That followed by the smell of saw dust and a cold one.