Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: What's your favorite woodworking sound, tool, task, thing, sight, smell, etc.

What's your favorite woodworking sound, tool, task, thing, sight, smell, etc.

I have 2 things that I love above all else in my shop. The first is the sound a nice piece of machined hardwood makes when I put it on my bench. I swear I can tell the difference between walnut, QSWO, maple, polar, etc. And I would be hard pressed to tell you why - it's just a ringing bell to me. Sometimes I'll pick it up and put it back on the bench a second time just to hear it. The other is breaking the edges of milled pieces with sandpaper. I know. Weird. There is just something cool about a sanded edge. I don't like planed edges - they seem to perfect. Maybe it's the small imperfections. Dunno.

What's yours?
    Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.

My favorite wood working sound is teller at the bank asking how would I like my money from the check that my customer wrote me.

Feeding a 6 head moulder.

Anything that is working well

Everything that is working well.

From a cleanly scribed knife-line to the sweet buzz of the big jointer,hanplane to supersurfacer

Supersurfacer.

My wife telling me how beautiful a piece of furniture is that I made for her.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I just like the smell of newly milled wood. Doesn’t matter the species for the most part...new construction, cabinets, general projects. I truly love wood I guess.

I like the "thuck" sound of a perfectly fitted tenon sliding into the mortise. I wish I could say I hear it often :-(

The sigh, when I occasionally get it right!

I like the sound of a well sharpened hand saw coming to the end of a cut.

Hands down - the big "Locomotive" - - the Milwaukee 5625 - winding up to a screaming high pitched wail!

One of my fondest memories of the end of my youth (a month before high school graduation) was a trip to the Indy 500 time trials.
    My best friend, his dad & his dad's friend (who was one of the officials) got us seats for the time trials on the infield - in the owners area.
    We were right on the rail & close enough to the action you could see the driver's faces & the whine of an "Offy" was so loud it hurt!

I think of that every time I turn on a router.

Good times....the harsh realities of life set in a few months after that.
    My granddad always said, :As one door closes, another opens".
    Wonderful man, terrible cabinet maker...

The smell of raw wood mmmmm

Blog Entries
    Favorite sound: A well-sharpened plane singing through a piece of hardwood. You can hear when it needs sharpening because it starts to lose that "zing."

Favorite smell: Either mahogany or port Orford cedar when freshly planed.

Favorite tool: The NX60 block plane that a fellow creeker gave me. It meant a lot to me, and it is a beautiful tool.

Sight: My wife when she comes to sit and talk while I work.

Thing: My workbench- modified split-top Roubo with plenty o' vises.

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm Schweizer View Post
    Favorite sound: A well-sharpened plane singing through a piece of hardwood.
    Doh! Beat me to it! I also like the "squeak" sound a sharp plane makes as it creates paper-thin shavings going through white pine.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wrenn View Post
    My favorite wood working sound is teller at the bank asking how would I like my money from the check that my customer wrote me.
    Get outta my head