Thread: Router table plates for Triton MOf001

Router table plates for Triton MOf001

I am retiring an old worn out router and router table and mounting my Triton MOf001 in an existing bench. I plan to use the plunge feature and above table crank, but i still need a plate. What plate have folks used and been happy with? Looking at Rockler there are three grades Phenolic, aluminum Bench Dog, and aluminum Pro. I figure it is probably worth getting one of the aluminum ones, but am unsure what advantage there is to the Pro over the Bench Dog.

Are there other models/sources I should consider?

BTW, I have been pretty impressed with the Triton so far. It seems like a very nice router.

Kreg makes a plate pre-drilled for the Triton. If the plate fits your bench, that's what I'd get.

I absolutely love my Woodpeckers plate.
    It ain't cheap (~ $120) & the insert rings cost extra (~$50), but, the 3/8" cast Aluminum, is (IMHO) much stronger & thinner than anything else.
    I feel fine with leaving my big Milwaukee 5625 hanging under it all the time - w/out having to worry about the weight distorting the plate.

The 710-AITRITON is made specific for your Triton.

I also recommend Carbide Processors for buying it. I believe Tom still gives SMC members a discount.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

I have a new Triton tra001. I am building a table for it now and my Rockler phenolic plate is supposed to arrive today. I really wasn't sure at all the difference among the three and just went with the cheapest one. Having used their phenolic blanks to make table saw inserts before, I thought they would be plenty strong and stable. If anybody has some dire warnings about phenolic that I should know about, please share as it's not too late to return it and exchange it for one of the other aluminum options. I'm cutting my own insert, so size is not an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Reich View Post
    I have a new Triton tra001. I am building a table for it now and my Rockler phenolic plate is supposed to arrive today. I really wasn't sure at all the difference among the three and just went with the cheapest one. Having used their phenolic blanks to make table saw inserts before, I thought they would be plenty strong and stable. If anybody has some dire warnings about phenolic that I should know about, please share as it's not too late to return it and exchange it for one of the other aluminum options. I'm cutting my own insert, so size is not an issue.
    I too am interested in whether it is up to the task. I see that Rockler uses the phenolic plate in their $750 setup with the tra001 (currently $200 off). You'd think it should be up to the task if they bundle it with what should be a nice setup (Rockler High Pressure Laminate Router Table Package with Triton Plunge Router, Steel Stand and 4-Piece Accessory Kit).

Don't know what the price difference is, but I'd choose aluminum over phenolic every day.

Nick, what's the deciding factor for you? The price difference was only $10.

Steve, if both plates are the same thickness, I'm pretty sure phenolic will sag before aluminum will. I haven't seen either of them, though, so thats just my gut feeling.

I have had my Triton (big and heavy router) hanging below my Woodpeckers aluminum plate for well over 10 years nonstop now and it is still just as flat as the day i mounted it. Been very happy with it.

Thanks, Nick. The phenolic is thicker, 3/8" as opposed to 1/4" for the aluminum. I suppose the extra thickness is to insure against sagging. Not sure that I'm going to go through the hassle of returning it and exchanging it. Reviews were overall pretty positive; of the negative ones, nobody complained about sagging (just griping about fit and installation difficulty).

Exclamation None?

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Staehling View Post
    I am retiring an old worn out router and router table and mounting my Triton MOf001 in an existing bench. I plan to use the plunge feature and above table crank, but i still need a plate. What plate have folks used and been happy with? Looking at Rockler there are three grades Phenolic, aluminum Bench Dog, and aluminum Pro. I figure it is probably worth getting one of the aluminum ones, but am unsure what advantage there is to the Pro over the Bench Dog.

Are there other models/sources I should consider?

BTW, I have been pretty impressed with the Triton so far. It seems like a very nice router.
    What about no plate at all in your router table?

Just adapt the router directly to your table as I had made 25+ years ago with my Hitachi TR12 and recently I made for my Bosch router using its GFF 1600 base. I just needed to cut a 152 mm diameter circle with jigsaw (OK, you can get better finishing with some care).

I got the base only at 0.1-0.2mm bellow the table surface with appropriate support screws adjust (you could also use some shim). Likewise your Triton, this Bosch base also have access thru the base for cut bit high adjust.

Router_table.jpg

It is easy, fast and cheap... and works well.
    Last edited by Osvaldo Cristo; 03-06-2019 at 7:46 AM. Reason: Typo as usual
    All the best.

Osvaldo.

I decided to go with the Bench Dogs aluminum plate from Rockler. I don't get why they don't come drilled for the height adjustment crank too. The other choices from Rockler don't either, but if it is drilled specifically for the Triton models it seems like they really ought to do that, Woodpecker does, Kreg does, and i think Jessem does.

I can drill it myself, but why should I have to when buying a predrilled plate? A little thing, but it kind of bugs me, not enough to spend $120 for the Woodpecker model though. Yes, I could have gotten a Kreg with all the needed holes for $10 more than I paid, but I was ordering other stuff from Rockler any way.

Pete

Yeah, it is a PITA that they don't predrill for the adjustment crank as that was one of the big selling points on my decision to buy the Triton. My phenolic plate arrived yesterday and sure enough it does not have that predrilled height crank hole. So, one more thing to test my accuracy nerves. By the way, here's a video review of the Triton that you might find useful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=e49JeOFMlv0
    Last edited by Steve Reich; 03-06-2019 at 9:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Reich View Post
    Pete

Yeah, it is a PITA that they don't predrill for the adjustment crank as that was one of the big selling points on my decision to buy the Triton. My phenolic plate arrived yesterday and sure enough it does not have that predrilled height crank hole. So, one more thing to test my accuracy nerves. By the way, here's a video review of the Triton that you might find useful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=e49JeOFMlv0
    At least that hole's accuracy is slightly less critical than the mounting holes, also it can be laid out and then checked by bolting the router to the plate and seeing that the recess matches the hole location. Still it is a disadvantage that you can't use the plate without modifying it. A vendor could give you a hard time about a return because the product was modified. A good vendor wouldn't but...

Just and update...

After pricing the materials, I decided to buy rather than build the table top. I went ahead and ordered the Rockler High Pressure Laminate Router Table top and the Bench Dogs plate.

I reworked an existing bench to put it on. it is the same height as my table saw and will be placed as a small out feed table. I had to modify the bench a bit to get the height right and made it a bit more solid in the process. It is a crude thing cobbled together from 2x4s, but is pretty functional. I plan to make my own fence, coping sled, and feather boards.