Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need help/tips/advice to get a super clean edge on acrylic cuts!!

You need something like a pin bed, but they can be spendy or time consuming to make...

Or you could try some of my 'bandaids' when I need to raise parts off the table... for one, I have a zillion 4/40 size SS lockwashers that I'll lay out on my flat table, they're very consistent and raise the plate off the table about .040", works great for clean edges on Rowmark and similar. You could probably get way with using large lock 1/2" lockwasher to get more air space. Just lay them about on a solid table, making sure they're not near where the beam will be cutting to prevent flashback. Cheap, temporary, and they work. Another 'thing' I use is 1/16" diameter gas welding rod, cut them to the length you need so you can make sure the beam misses them. Put a very slight bend in them, then they won't roll. These you can use on your honeycomb table
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Could i just cut a few blocks that are 1/2" and screw some metal into them on the sides and butt them up into the corner of the bed that way i can still set in the sheet squarely and that will give it some space. Also after running a very quick test i noticed when it was raised up there was a constant flame underneath the sheet of acrylic and about half the time on top as well, how does one combat that issue?

I made a pin bed using 1/8 pop rivets I drilled the bed with my cnc router

MAP gas works great, just be careful you don't soften the plexi too much as it will reform if you set it down hot.
    Bruce Clumpner
    Brandon Services Laser Engraving
    Academy Commemoratives - Personalized Memorabilia for the U.S. Service Academies
    Irvine, CA
    -
    Epilog 75-watt Helix, 40-watt 18-Mini
    Started with Corel Draw V1 now feeling the pain of CorelDraw x7
    CS4 photoshop
    CS4 illustrator
    PhotoGrav

Quote Originally Posted by Dylan Hall View Post
    So after running some tests with different dpi and speeds i took off the paper from the bottom also and i was noticing that the "chip" look on bottom was whenever it hit one of the honeycombs as it was cutting. it still gave it this slight wave look along the side above the bottom of it but it was cutting through the acrylic just fine. any ideas on that? are there better beds to use to cut the acrylic on that wont reflect the laser as much?
    Pin bed - make it out of 5mm mdf or acrylic and a bunch of these: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/100P...832362694.html - 30mm x 2mm pogo pins.

They are called pogo pins because they are like a pogo stick - got a spring inside.

Cut a matrix of 2mm dia holes and push the little buggers in, then put the acrylic down on a hard surface and push them home.

Those ones have a 180gm spring, so 100 of them can hold up 18kg.
    Homemade 6W 900x500mm diode engraver
    600x900mm Reci W4 with Ruida 6442G
    300x200mm 50W desktop hacked to bits with mods
    ...waiting on a 1325 Reci W8...