Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rubbery glue, wood to metal

Rubbery glue, wood to metal

I need a rubbery glue to attach wood to metal.
    The metal might move a little in use so I don’t want to use epoxy. And the mating surfaces are not exact enough for contact cement.

Is Loctite PL Premium appropriate for this situation?

20 years ago I used to be able to get a glue called Vulkem (something close to that spelling) and it was great, but I don’t see it anymore around here - Southern California. It probably eats brain cells for fun.

Any advice welcome. Mark

"Is Loctite PL Premium appropriate for this situation?"

That is the stuff I was going to recommend before I read the body of your post. It should work great as long as the metal is well-degreased.

T

rubber cement

The PL stuff is great. But for something that is going to move beyond just expansion and contraction I like NP 1 sealant

I went and bought a tube of NP-1 locally.
    Thanks all.

Actually, I would recommend G-Flex Epoxy by West Systems. It is what many knife makers use to afix scales to blades. It has a bit of flex built in to accommodate movement between the materials. I've never had it fail in 20 years.

I just remade a zinc on plywood conference table that the original maker used PL on. It had failed shamefully. I opted to do a good job on getting a nice flat substrate them using contact adhesive, rather than hoping to find some magic void filling adhesive.
    Attached Images Attached Images

It's expensive, and it's miserable to work with, and once you open it, its shelf life (in fridge) is about a week or two (or a couple days in the open air), but another option is 3M 5200 Marine Adhesive Sealer, which is very strong and permanent and waterproof (even below the waterline), and stays "rubbery" for years, even outside. It's a water vapor-curing polyurethane (although it does not foam like Gorilla Glue) with the consistency of caulk, so it'll fill gaps. But it only comes in black or white, that I know of. And you'll have a devil of a time removing it if ever you need to. Its adhesion and tensile strength are pretty impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Gibney View Post
    I need a rubbery glue to attach wood to metal.
    The metal might move a little in use so I don’t want to use epoxy. And the mating surfaces are not exact enough for contact cement.

Is Loctite PL Premium appropriate for this situation?

20 years ago I used to be able to get a glue called Vulkem (something close to that spelling) and it was great, but I don’t see it anymore around here - Southern California. It probably eats brain cells for fun.

Any advice welcome. Mark
    I remember Vulkem 116 it’s a very good polyurethane caulking. Np1 is good stuff too.
    Aj

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob Reverb View Post
    It's expensive, and it's miserable to work with, and once you open it, its shelf life (in fridge) is about a week or two (or a couple days in the open air), but another option is 3M 5200 Marine Adhesive Sealer, which is very strong and permanent and waterproof (even below the waterline), and stays "rubbery" for years, even outside. It's a water vapor-curing polyurethane (although it does not foam like Gorilla Glue) with the consistency of caulk, so it'll fill gaps. But it only comes in black or white, that I know of. And you'll have a devil of a time removing it if ever you need to. Its adhesion and tensile strength are pretty impressive.
    I was going to recommend 5200 also. 4200 is for things you might need to remove; haven't had reason to use it.

Blog Entries
    Gorilla Glue, polyurethane, water activated version?
    NOW you tell me...

Since you provide no parameters, E6000 works well.

In 1986, when we moved into our house, I stuck the motion detector light fixture to the Aluminum siding on the peak of the garage up with the original formula - "Shoe-Goo".
    It faces South & takes the full brunt of weather & Sun.
    It's my "go to" for everything when I'm not sure what to use or , if there isn't a specified adhesive.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Engelhardt View Post
    In 1986, when we moved into our house, I stuck the motion detector light fixture to the Aluminum siding on the peak of the garage up with the original formula - "Shoe-Goo".
    Have used this shoe goo... not bad (and reminds me I am out)

Otherwise my 'go to', if decent surface area, is 100% silicone caulk. The 'aquarium' caulk version that is used to put glass together for aquariums I find works pretty well for a variety of tasks.

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Beckett View Post
    Have used this shoe goo... not bad (and reminds me I am out)

Otherwise my 'go to', if decent surface area, is 100% silicone caulk. The 'aquarium' caulk version that is used to put glass together for aquariums I find works pretty well for a variety of tasks.
    Same here, I use one of the various Goos for some things and silicone caulk otherwise. I usually use the caulk that goes on white and is clear when cured, and sometimes the black RTV.

As an aside, note that RTV and some others are conducive until cured, perhaps of interest when applying to things like terminals with with AC power.