Thread: glue line rip blade question

glue line rip blade question

Are these supposed to leave a dead smooth cut, or one with slight scores, to help with the glue bond?? I'm asking because mine leaves slight scores across the cut.
    WoodsShop

I have the freud glue line rip blade. I do get a slight scoring but I think they are marketing them as a better finish than a 'regular' low teeth count rip blade i suppose. Slight scores are fine for glue ups.

I have slight scores. Never been a problem with taking it straight to glue-up.
    -Lud

Measure the width of the kerf in the stock against the width of the teeth. That will give you an idea of what the runout is. Runout will cause the scoring. Dave

I too have slight scoring but not enuf of a problem that it affects glue-ups

No I mistakenly chose one thinking I'd get a nice smooth edges cut .. is why I'm asking. It's still probably the best cut for a glue line.

what type of regular kerf blade would I want for nice smooth cuts?
    Last edited by Joe Wood; 03-10-2019 at 7:45 PM.
    WoodsShop

No blade will give you a smooth cut if your saw isn't set up properly.

I used to build a lot of cabinets for local "Y's". All included 1/4" soft maple edging. As for blades, once I did a comparison between a glue line, 50 tooth comb, Forest WWII, and a couple other blades. Best finish came from the 50 tooth combo.

I mostly rip 2x and up wr cedar sometimes redwood, with a 12" blade, so all softwoods, never sheet goods.
    WoodsShop

Quote Originally Posted by fritz eng View Post
    I too have slight scoring but not enuf of a problem that it affects glue-ups
    Same here. But I'm not sure I use a so-called "glue line" rip blade. (I picked up a bunch of thin-kerf rip blades cheap several years back...)