Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I just got a mailer from AARP

Blog Entries

I just got a mailer from AARP

And it was addressed to Texas Motorcycle Rider. Now AARP members are mostly older people.

I am curious if any of you "old dogs" out there have motorcycles.
    If I had one it probably be a Harley.
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 03-05-2019 at 8:07 AM.

I read recently that Harley is dying because all their customers are old and don't buy new motorcycles.

But to answer your question, I haven't been on a motorcycle in 50 years.

Yep Harley is dying. Big and fat does not appeal to younger folk who want speed and lightweight. I live near the York PA Harley plant. The plant is now manned by some full time folks, but a lot of part time and seasonal employees. I rode a motor cycle for 12 years. I would not want a Harley. If I were in the market now, It would be a shaft drive touring bike, like BMW or Moto Guzzi, Had a 1967 Guzzi for 8 years loved it.

Had a half dozen, but no Harleys. Gave them up in my late 30's, because I realized I had too many obligations to the family.

As a fireman I scooped up dozens of bikers off the road. Interestingly, most were kids whose parents set them loose on crotch rockets.

I only remember two on Harleys. One was drunk and running from police, when he turned down a cul-de-sac with a chain link fence at the end. He bounced back a few feet after hitting it, with no major injuries. Typical drunk driver story.

The other was on a mountain road. I don't remember how he went down, but I do remember the quarter sized hole in his head, and being able to see his brain while he talked to us. I think he came out of it OK.

Neither was wearing a helmet.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

I’ve ridden off and on for 45 years. Mostly on since ‘96. Big believer in training and recurrent training, but I admit I’m overdue. Now 72 y/o, I see the time coming when my reaction time and strength will force me off two wheels, but hopefully a few more years left. Own 2 BMWs, an ‘08 R1200RT primary rider and a ‘79 “traditional” BMW airhead which at the moment is in need of a bit of TLC but that is secondary to other more pressing projects.
    "Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity" - anon

I've always loved LOUD V8's and V-twins. I have another webpage opened up on Amazon checking out 12" glasspacks and $48 cat converters because I'm about to put true-dual sidepipes on my 2002 F-250... - Had a 26' Chaparral bowrider with Cap'ns Call sidepipes, I put them on an '84 Ford custom van, a '56 Ford F-100, several others-- I'd put them on the wife's '13 Mustang GT convert if she'd let me!

So you KNOW I have a Harley. Old '75 ironhead Sporty I bought in '92, had it all redone in '95, still looks just like this...
    Only Harley I've ever owned-
    hd.jpg

Bought this '84 Aspencade 16 years ago--
    gw.jpg

Past bikes, bought a new Honda V-65 Magna in '83 when they first came out, sold it to my BIL, he still has it-
    and I had a '75 Kawasaki 500 triple, major fast for a 500 but I hate 2-strokes

--I'll be 65 in a few months, so I'm also getting all the old-fart mailers
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Only been on a bike once or twice in my 62+ years though I have several friends that ride. and two that died on bikes.

AARP is too liberal for me so when I got to senior citizen status I went with AMAC.
    Marshall
    ---------------------------
    A Stickley fan boy.

Blog Entries
    [QUOTE=lowell holmes;2905364][edited]

That URL opens up a Google mailbox.

Not sure about buying from much of the stuff that pops up there.

Most of my two wheel riding was done on a bicycle. That almost got me killed a couple of times. A few times on a motorcycle made me aware of how that much power might be the death of me. It has been about 40 years since riding on a two wheeled vehicle.

jtk
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 03-05-2019 at 8:10 AM.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I quit riding on the road in the 1970's, after seeing too many of my friends roll across the hood of some old lady's car that pulled out in front of them. At 68, the only motorcycle I own is a Honda 450rx. I used to have a couple of dirt bikes-one to play with, and one to ride around our place to keep check on things. This one does both at the flip of a switch.

I'm 72 and ride a honking big 1998 Honda Valkyrie (6 cylinders, 6 carbs, hot cam ) with a sidecar my wife loves. Yes, Harley is troubled for a variety of reasons most of which are their own doing. Decades of ignoring customer trends, overpriced vs the competition, stubborn commitment to decades old engine technology, bad reliability compared to competition. I could go on. A friend who rides a HD told me the H in the name stands for "Hundred dollar bill" because that was the minimum price just to go into one of the dealerships for anything. Having said all that I’d still consider one because other than Indian it’s getting hard to find cruiser style bikes.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Michael Weber; 03-04-2019 at 4:13 PM.

I am 67, and still have a Yamaha 250, as that is the smallest bike you could buy for years. See that Honda has brought back a 125 cub. Looks like the Honda 90's a lot of kids had when I was in high school. Would like one of those.

Blog Entries
    Last time was as a passenger on a 125CC in 1966. Went down in gravel and wound up with giant scrapes on both knees and elbows and hands and went into boot camp with them the next day. Not my idea of a good time.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas L Carpenter View Post
    Last time was as a passenger on a 125CC in 1966. Went down in gravel and wound up with giant scrapes on both knees and elbows and hands and went into boot camp with them the next day. Not my idea of a good time.
    I bet. I can just imagine the grief your Drill Sergeant gave you.
    Marshall
    ---------------------------
    A Stickley fan boy.

Bike?
    Nope - wife won't let me have one.

She said I could have one if she could have a live in boyfriend.

I told her I was fine with that as long as the SOB mowed the yard & took out the garbage...

It took about three days for the swelling to go down & I could see out of my left eye... .
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    And it was addressed to Texas Motorcycle Rider. Now AARP members are mostly older people.

I am curious if any of you "old dogs" out there have motorcycles.
    If I had one it probably be a Harley.

Also, do any of you shop here?

https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/#in...FqdhVQjSpXNrJH
    Hi Lowell, I have

1930 James single with acetylene lighting

1975 Norton Commando (original owner)

1976 R90/6 BMW

2013 F700GS BMW

Diann has the following

1977 R60/7 BMW

2010 F650GS BMW

So yes, we ride..........Rod