Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I just got a mailer from AARP

I've been riding since '72, mostly BMW airheads, but at least one of pretty much every common brand. I've got an IBA BBG plate. Right now I have a '94 R100GS and an old Gen 1 KLR. Strongly considering selling both and getting a quad.

Blog Entries
    I suspected there would be many of you and I was correct.

I rode Goldwings for many years and put over 100,000 miles on them. I currently ride a three wheeled Can Am Spyder. It is safer and easier to ride 2 up but it isn't as much fun.

AARP is a political organization that makes money to promote their causes by selling insurance. Research what they lobby for before buying from them or you might wind up supporting something you don't like. On the other hand, you might agree with them.
    Last edited by Art Mann; 03-06-2019 at 10:02 PM.

I've been riding since mid 60's would guess I have well over a million miles on 2 wheels never owned a Harley never will, I like to get were I'm going I've rode in 39 states, 4 Canadian Provinces , Mexico and Okinawa.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

I have been on bikes my whole life... The bike to have today is electric.

https://www.zeromotorcycles.com/

Once you try it you will never go back to gas...

The most fun bike I ever rode was a Wankle engine one. So smooth and didn't even know I was going that fast.

My dad wasn't keen on motorcycles. He never said I couldn't get one but I respected his wishes and waited till I was out of the house. I had a suzuki 250 that I bought from my cousin. My cousins, brother in law and friends did a lot of riding together. Sometimes, in the woods, I felt like the bike was going where it wanted to and I was just holding on trying to keep up. I only had one really close call when a woman pulled out in an intersection, then stopped when she saw me coming. It was raining and I locked up the back wheel, and was in the process of laying the bike down, which would have slid under the back side of the car. I managed to right it just in time and avoid hitting her. Of course, she then just drove away as if nothing happened. A few years later when I was ready to sell the bike, my cousin was feeling nostalgic and bought it back. That was back in the late 70s. He still has it.

Wow!
    I have a 2009 Harley Electra Glide Classic, had it since it was almost new, about 4 months old - brought it up from Oregon. It's my second Harley, and I love it.
    Before that:
    Started on a '70 Norton Commando Fastback in '72;
    Various nondescript putters starting my family;
    Yamaha XS 650 ex-police in Johannesburg - had to rebuild it, but it was great;
    Yamaha Seca 750 back in Vancouver;
    Honda V-45 Magna;
    Harley Softail Standard; then the Electra Glide which is my preferred daily driver in the summer, and go-to vehicle when visiting my grandkids in California.
    Since I'm in Canada, I don't get AARP up here, so I'm not targeted.
    I don't fault anyone who doesn't ride - my parents hated motorcycles and I also bought one when I moved out. But even though the Motor Company is having troubles, they are still a very nice way to eat up long distances.
    Honda makes big bikes for interstate travel, and they also don't sell well. I don't know the status of other manufacturers who make large touring machines, but I'm willing to bet their sales are off too.
    Agreed, that I'm keeping my '09 because a new one is too expensive, and there are so many aftermarket parts to keep it in good shape, there is no reason to go into debt to buy a new one. But, if I WERE in the market, I would compare Triumph, BMW, Harley and maybe Indian.
    Keep the rubber side down.
    Young enough to remember doing it;
    Old enough to wish I could do it again.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Beitz View Post
    I have been on bikes my whole life... The bike to have today is electric.

https://www.zeromotorcycles.com/

Once you try it you will never go back to gas...
    Harley Livewire, coming in August. https://www.harley-davidson.com/us/e...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
    Sometimes we see what we expect to see, and not what we are looking at! Scott