Thread: Grapefruit Wood Surprise - PICS

Grapefruit Wood Surprise - PICS

A friend asked me to cut up a couple of dead grapefruit trees he had in his yard. According to him they had been dead for at least a year and most had already rotted out at the base. He used most of it for firewood but I kept a couple of pieces to see what the wood looked like inside. To my surprise after cutting into one of the logs it was heavily spalted but not severely cracked. I made one small bowl out of one piece and cut a couple of small slabs out of the others. Here are some photos of the finished bowl, one of the slabs and the other uncut log. I might try making my first small box from the slabs.

grapefruit wood 001.jpggrapefruit wood 002.jpg
    grapefruit wood 004.jpg
    grapefruit wood 003.jpg

Great catch on the wood...well worth the effort. My experience is that all fruit-woods make for good turning.
    Best,
    Ed D.

Nice! Good find.
    I love that fruit wood when you can keep it from splitting or chipping.

That is a real good catch and it is the first grapefruit wood I have ever seen. The bowl is a beauty!
    Sid Matheny
    McMinnville, TN

Thanks for this report. I have often wondered what citrus tree wood looked like and this is the first time I've seen it used for woodworking.

It wasn't my intention to suggest all grapefruit wood appears as shown in the photos above. In fact, I recall mentioning the wood earlier on this forum before working with it and the comments received were that it is generally bland and lacking figure similar to boxwood. I think what makes this wood so interesting is due to the heavy spalting. I worked with some ambrosia maple earlier and the color/figuring is even more intense. The timing is appropriate as I'm currently reading Spalted Wood by Sara C. Robinson Et al. I would like to someday take advantage of some of the techniques described in the book spalting wood somewhat artificially.
    Last edited by Steve Mathews; 03-05-2019 at 4:51 PM.

Grapefruit wood is not easily found. I picked up a piece about 10+ years back on trip to Hawaii and was pleased with the finish turned piece. Definitely would use it again if any found.

Look just like spalted maple: color, grain, etc. Nice work!