Thread: Great Lakes Woodworking Show

Great Lakes Woodworking Show

Just saw a facebook post that the Great Lakes Woodworking show will be May 4-5 (Adrian, MI). As this is only about a 90 min drive, I think I’ll plan to attend. Has anyone attended this in the past? Anyone else planning to go this year? Looks like Lie Nielsen will make their first appearance this year. Better start saving my pennies now.

Thanks for pointing this out - I wasn't aware of the Festival. Similar drive for me, so I might make the trip to see the Lie-Nielsen display - the other stuff on the schedule seems kind of limited (how many hot dogs do they nick in a 1-hour SawStop demo?).

I went to a couple of educational/demo sessions I thought were pretty good at the Wood Expo in Charlotte last year - but no Lie-Nielsen. The Wood Expo is closer to home for me, and it's hosted by Johnson's Workbench, where I buy lumber, but it might be a longer drive for you.

May 4 - 5, 2019 are the days that the Society of American Period Furniture Makers (SAPFM) will be demonstrating at the Detroit Institute of Arts.
    So, maybe you can visit the museum one of the days and Adrian the other.
    Mike
    From the workshop under the staircase, Clinton Township, MI
    Semper Audere!

It's a two hour drive for me but it would be worth it.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Thanks Gary and Mike, I was unaware of either of those events. The DIA event is close, so I could very easily make both that weekend. And thanks to our tri-county taxes, the DIA is free. Rob, if you decide to attend, let me know. Would love to say hello (and anyone else, of course).

Hmmm. Interesting. On the one hand, that is a long way from Maryland. But, on the other hand, I went to Adrian College and have not been back in quite a while. Something to consider.

John

Looks like my schedule will permit me to attend. My wife is tied up that Saturday so I'd have been looking for something to do anyway.

Thanx for posting about this! I was also unaware of this event. Only about a hour away, so count me in!

Let’s keep this thread going. Maybe meet for lunch? We could debate sharpening methods face to face

212 km for me each way. Would need a motel. Have to think about that!
    ​You can do a lot with very little! You can do a little more with a lot!

Sorry for my delayed response. Yes, I am still planning to be there on Saturday. Would be great to meet all of you who will be there. My wife will be joining and always looks forward to meeting new folks...just please forgive her if she drifts off during the sharpening discussion

Bump.

Anyone else planning on attending? I'm still on track to be there Saturday.

I will be there and presenting on hollows and rounds.
    Here is the Museum's blurb on the event: https://www.dia.org/events/society-a...rniture-makers
    20160402_SAPFM at DIA_20 (1).jpg
    That's me in the tricorner hat, but I don't guarantee I will be wearing it.
    Last edited by mike holden; 05-01-2019 at 12:24 PM.
    From the workshop under the staircase, Clinton Township, MI
    Semper Audere!

Fun time Saturday at the Festival. Met fellow Creeker Phil Mueller, saw some nice presentations, and did some damage at the Lie-Nielsen hand tool event. I’m glad these only come around occasionally. I don’t have the willpower!

Rob, I somehow left the LN area with the same amount of $ that I entered with. It was great to be able to try a few tools I had been eyeing and glad they made the effort to come to the event. From the looks of things while I was there, I’d say it was worth their time.

I especially enjoyed spending some time with Stephen Pyle demonstrating chip carving. He sure makes it look easy...might have to give that a try. His work was stunning. Obviously there were woodworkers there and one gentlemen asked Stephen what he was charging for a smallish box with all five sides fully carved. Stephen said $125. The gentlemen (who obviously was a woodworker) said “oh, so you charge about $5 an hour?” Stephen said something like “I wish”.

Ain’t that the truth.