Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Holder for Veritas Router Plane

Holder for Veritas Router Plane

I have been meaning to make this or something like it for a long time. Dirt simple, but clears up the clutter of blades and accessories for the Router plane.

No more worry about knocking the blades against each other on the shelf of the till.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Making furniture teaches us new ways to remove splinters.

Blog Entries
    Great solution, it is likely to be borrowed by others.

The mortise to allow for an extended blade is brilliant.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Smile Quite an idea

"Great solution, it is likely to be borrowed by others."

Like me.

I'll borrow it. Thanks Matt!

OK, a variation. At present my router planes are on a shelf inside this chaotic cabinet ...

See ...

What would work great would be Matt's tray as a slide out shelf ...

Regards from Perth

Derek
    Last edited by Derek Cohen; 03-04-2019 at 7:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Great solution, it is likely to be borrowed by others.

The mortise to allow for an extended blade is brilliant.

jtk
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    I'll borrow it. Thanks Matt!

OK, a variation. At present my router planes are on a shelf inside this chaotic cabinet ...

See ...

What would work great would be Matt's tray as a slide out shelf ...

Regards from Perth

Derek
    Nice shop cabinet! I have two pieces of glass left over from a job that I have been wanting to build into a shop cabinet door set, but am really worried that the glass will get broken in short order. It would be awesome to be able to pull out a few tools and have them NOT be covered in sawdust.

Crud. Now I am going to have to think of a way to put some sort of pull out in the till for it. I've already set aside some wood for a set of two small drawers that I need to build for it for extra plane parts and blades, might have to do a pull out for the plane at the same time.
    Making furniture teaches us new ways to remove splinters.

Nice! I don't have a router plane, but I have a cast scratch stock with about a dozen blades that are hard to keep track of/sort through. I think with slots instead of holes for the blades this would work pretty well.

That's a good idea. I just have mine in a drawer along with a bunch of other planes. Maybe I'll make a box to go around your idea.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    That's a good idea. I just have mine in a drawer along with a bunch of other planes. Maybe I'll make a box to go around your idea.

Mike
    A rabbet around the top of the base for the box to settle on and a knob on the front and it could be a drawer/box.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

Blog Entries
    I had a Stanley 71 router plane, but after the Hurricane Harvey flood I haven't found it.

I went looking for it and found my Wixey table saw blade angle gauge, put two AAA batteries in it and it works.
    I haven't had a need for it for years, but I think I will make something using it. I am making the Shaker stepladder,
    and there are angled cuts be made.
    Last edited by lowell holmes; 03-04-2019 at 3:04 PM.

Nice job on the router storage Matt. I too will use your idea for my router. Thanks for posting.

I went with a box, but I'm reconsidering that now. I may go with a drawer when I build my tool chest.
    IMG_20170918_093611_606_resized.jpgIMG_20170918_093611_594_resized.jpg
    "Only those who have the patience to do simple things perfectly will acquire the skill to do difficult things easily.”
    Friedrich von Schiller (1759-1805)

"Quality means doing it right when no one is looking."
    Henry Ford

I like this idea a lot. I have the same router plane, and although I have places for most of my other planes my router plane just sits in a shelf inside my tool cabinet, and the blades are in another tool chest drawer wrapped in the oily protective paper.

Will be adding this to the list.
    Regards,

Kris

Blog Entries

I found it . . . ....

My Stanley 71 1/2 router plane. It is missing the guides. Does anyone know where to find the guides.
    I am not sure what they were used for.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    My Stanley 71 1/2 router plane. It is missing the guides. Does anyone know where to find the guides.
    I am not sure what they were used for.
    Is it possible you mean the part that was held on the underside and worked like a fence?

jtk

My plane has a little bit larger wooden sub-sole that has a small hole. I hang it from the wall using that hole.