Thread: power planer - newbie user

power planer - newbie user

I'm thinking about purchasing a power planer (like a DeWalt), but have never used one before. I'd be using it for trimming to fit construction lumber. Any suggestions in brand or info that I should know in use?

You can really mess up some material fast with one of them. BTDT. They're really messy also.
    I have an older DeWalt power planer. It doesn't get used a lot, but sometimes it's the right tool for the job. Like, truing up existing studs in an old house.
    Set the depth of cut to minimum for trimming and use multiple passes. It's kind of like a cross between a jointer and an hand plane, so just employ the technique of both and you'll be fine.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Get one with a dust port. The Bosch is not bad, it's light with reversible indexed carbide knives and a dust port that can be set to either side. You may need to adjust the indexing from the factory setting but once done the knife location is consistent.

The power plane is my go-to tool for scribing on cabinet installs, with a jigsaw for gross stock removal.

Blog Entries
    Check out this video for a guy that has more planers than most of us combined. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_a1HCqK5i-A "How to tune your electric planer for best results".
    NOW you tell me...

I have the DeWalt. It works well but it puts out a lot of chips and you need to be careful with it - it can take off too much quickly. Advice given above to take small bites is my experience, also.

If I had to do it over, I'd try to get one with a dust port connection, just so I could work cleaner.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Vince Shriver View Post
    I'm thinking about purchasing a power planer (like a DeWalt), but have never used one before. I'd be using it for trimming to fit construction lumber. Any suggestions in brand or info that I should know in use?
    I have the Makita KP0810, and it's a very solid machine. Dust port switchable to either side, hooks up to a shop vac with plumbing supplies. I use it as an "electric scrub plane" to have a look inside rough lumber. Be careful where you put your fingers, injuries from a tool like this could be horrific. Also be mindful of tipping it at the end of a cut. There are various youtube videos illustrating this, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Anderson View Post
    Check out this video for a guy that has more planers than most of us combined. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_a1HCqK5i-A "How to tune your electric planer for best results".
    I was just thinking about this video as well. Louis Sauzedde is truly a master shipbuilder and knows a thing or two...

I keep two 3-1/4's, a 6-1/4, and an old one with a front lever depth control that's popular with surfboard shapers. One small one for rough stuff, and don't fret over the blades, and the other small one keeps sharp, unchipped blades in it, and never touches any board with any question about being clean.

If you size boards with it, start at the beginning, and go all the way in each pass. If you straighten a board with it, feather it down as it's moving, and lift while it's still moving. It's hard to get a short hump, or jump out with one.

I hold the cord in the hand that goes on the front knob. It's easy to scalp the cord if you aren't paying attention. Learn patience to let it wind down before setting it down, or turning around with it, even if it's one that has the little flip down "safety" foot.