Thread: Experience with Rakuten.com?

Experience with Rakuten.com?

I've been wanting to buy a DeWalt dado stack (DW7670), and after shopping around, Rakuten.com seems to have the best price ($123 + sales tax, free shipping), but I have no experience with them. It's only $5-$6 less than the next best price, but that would buy a mug of good beer .

Any feedback on experience with Ratkuten?
    Last edited by Gary Ragatz; 03-03-2019 at 7:08 PM.

I don't know anything about Rakuten but I wouldn't risk it for $5 or $6 dollars if your next lowest price is from a known, reputable source.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

its Ebates but changed their name but if the same people are running it (Ebates) then they are okay. My wife bought a few things from ebates and seems happy with them.

Quote Originally Posted by marlin adams View Post
    its Ebates but changed their name but if the same people are running it (Ebates) then they are okay. My wife bought a few things from ebates and seems happy with them.
    Yes, I was just going to mention this...I'm a long, long time EBates user and just got notice of the name change. What's nice about the EBates/Rakuten setup is that you not only get cash-back rebates, but you also often get direct access to discounts/coupons when you go to a vendor's page.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I don't put blind trust in trustpilot, but it can be a useful site when thinking about using a new online store. At least as a data point. Rakuten has a lot more negative reviews than positive there.
    You have to be careful because reviews are filtered so + ratings show first so you have to click on the graph to see the negative reviews.

Edit: And I should say that trustpilot has been criticized as being less than scrupulous about ensuring reviews are real....so you have to keep that in mind.
    Last edited by Paul F Franklin; 03-03-2019 at 10:24 PM.

Strange...I've never had an issue with EBates and this is just a name change. They like to send me money...and they do.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Strange...I've never had an issue with EBates and this is just a name change. They like to send me money...and they do.
    No name change Rakuten bought out EBates.

Thanks, all. Decided to go ahead and order through Rakuten - will let you know how it turns out.

Quote Originally Posted by marlin adams View Post
    No name change Rakuten bought out EBates.
    True but for those of us who have used EBates "forever", it's effectively just a name change.
    --

Thought I'd update this, for anyone who's interested.

My dado stack showed up, in good condition, 3 business days after I placed the order (free shipping).

The day after I ordered, Rakuten sent me an email with a "15% off, site wide" offer, so I used that on a DeWalt biscuit joiner I had my eye on. The regular price was the same as the best price I'd found on line ($169), so 15% off sounded pretty good. That order also arrived in good shape, 3 business days, no shipping charge.

The actual seller, in both cases, was CPO Outlets, who I've heard of, but never done business with. So I guess Rakuten was just handling the transactions.

Two good experiences, so I will probably use them again. Also earned some kind of points that I gather can be used to discount a future order.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Ragatz View Post
    Thought I'd update this, for anyone who's interested.

My dado stack showed up, in good condition, 3 business days after I placed the order (free shipping).

The day after I ordered, Rakuten sent me an email with a "15% off, site wide" offer, so I used that on a DeWalt biscuit joiner I had my eye on. The regular price was the same as the best price I'd found on line ($169), so 15% off sounded pretty good. That order also arrived in good shape, 3 business days, no shipping charge.

The actual seller, in both cases, was CPO Outlets, who I've heard of, but never done business with. So I guess Rakuten was just handling the transactions.

Two good experiences, so I will probably use them again. Also earned some kind of points that I gather can be used to discount a future order.
    Good to hear your experience was positive.

FYI, Rakuten is one of the 20 largest online commerce companies in the world among such peers as Amazon, Google, Alibaba, Facebook and Ebay. They are the largest online commerce company in Japan, and entered the US market years ago by acquiring Buy.com which many here would remember. Their point reward system is highly regarded and most people in Japan use their credit card which allows them to accumulate additional point rewards that can be redeemed for purchases on the site.

Rakuten has been around a long time. Check deals posted at Slickdeals.net via a search, you can see and read a lot about their deals. However they do allow third party sellers and some of those are shady or bad and thats where Rakuten can get a bad name.

Also eBates is awesome, I have gotten $400 back so far from them in the last almost two years.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

Rakuten used to be Buy.com back in the day. I've ordered many times from both incarnations, including within the last year, and never had a problem with them.