Thread: Japanese chisels

Japanese chisels

Anybody have any idea af to what these are? Ran across these for sale but owner d didn't know anything about them other than they where hand down to him and are from the 60s.
    I'm kind of interested but need help before I spend what I think is serious money
    20190303_133424.jpg20190303_133500.jpgScreenshot_20190303-133221_Gallery.jpg

2. The bare metal looks too shiny and I don't think they used those plastic blade protectors in the 60's. I highly doubt these are from that time.

Look like regular chisels, they have a smith mark which is good. A very few people here my know the smith.
    Strange there is only 9. Usually in sets of 4, 6 or 10. What is serious money?

I just bought a set of 6 made in 2012 so I won’t be buying another one!

Just noticed the hoops don’t look hand made, not a good sign.
    Last edited by William Fretwell; 03-03-2019 at 4:17 PM. Reason: Add observation
    ​You can do a lot with very little! You can do a little more with a lot!

Sorry I typed 60s but I meant 70s. I too thought they where too clean even for never used saws from the 70s.
    I shouldn't have said serious money, I mean they're asking for 400 but I know that's just a number being thrown out there. I just wanted to get a little more info and make an accurate offer. I don't plan on paying 400 but still, these would be nice if they are worth it.

Hugo, in no way do I want to hijack your thread but perhaps I can find out if these are white or blue steel with the same experts?
    C84B6849-36E2-4861-8D5D-8663C28D26A1.jpeg
    And the back:
    E6C00178-D3A5-46A5-91A3-CFD7EC8EAE56.jpeg
    ​You can do a lot with very little! You can do a little more with a lot!

https://item.rakuten.co.jp/kentikuboy/10021262/
    http://www.homemaking.jp/products/de...oduct_id=25915
    fullsizeoutput_428.jpg
    Well the brand still exists. I wouldn't pay that much for them I think. It looks like it is only carried by big box store and Amazon equivalents in Japan. But perhaps the brand was quite good back in the day. Your's definitely look a little older. Also, I very much doubt hoops for any J chisel have really been handmade for a long long long time. The ones with hammer marks are just normal ones that have been hammered after being made by the thousands with machines. Or ground. The handles come pre-made for most smiths anyways. If you could take more in focus pics maybe some more details can be found.

Blog Entries
    You can look up the spark profiles of certain steels to give an idea.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

You should buy them they good to me.
    Plus the box says best Quality.
    Never know till you put them to work.
    Aj

That was way quicker than I thought. Many many thanks Vincent. This gives me a great idea of what i'm willing to pay, i'll check them out and see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugo Salais View Post
    Anybody have any idea af to what these are? Ran across these for sale but owner d didn't know anything about them other than they where hand down to him and are from the 60s.
    I'm kind of interested but need help before I spend what I think is serious money
    20190303_133424.jpg20190303_133500.jpgScreenshot_20190303-133221_Gallery.jpg
    Hugo, these look similar to the type of inexpensive set sold by companies, such as Grizzly. If so, they would sell for around $250 for a set of 10. I think that you need to work on that basis since you cannot determine what they are. If I was set on buying them (because I had no others), the set on Amazon would be worth around $150-ish to me if NOS. Your set number 9, and therefore no more than $125.

Another way to look at this is what sizes do you need, and purchase them new individually.

Regards from Perth

Derek