Thread: Can I debark this before drying

Blog Entries

Can I debark this before drying

I’m visiting my brother who has a lot of Osage Orange on his land. I asked him to cut a piece and I’m bringing it home as checked baggage. :-) I want to debark it to minimize the chance of bringing unwanted pests home. Will that be a problem as it dries?

9B9D2F26-0CBB-4FF4-A10E-79E7104A738D.jpg

better seal it somehow but you will have to get that bark off, it might be a good idea and check with the airline about bringing it first, things like this change country to country , you do not want to be on the wrong side of this.

Blog Entries
    Thanks. I have done this before. It will be fumigated as required. The bark has moss on it and I want to leave that behind as well.

Malcolm

Much easier to peel when green. I have dried a lot of osage in my Ebac elec. dehum kiln with no issues. Working with it is more difficult - lots of grain reverses but can be overcome with really sharp edges - turns extremely well - clogs sand paper.

Are you baggage checking that whole log? Looks heavy.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bradley Gray View Post
    Malcolm

Much easier to peel when green. I have dried a lot of osage in my Ebac elec. dehum kiln with no issues. Working with it is more difficult - lots of grain reverses but can be overcome with really sharp edges - turns extremely well - clogs sand paper.

Are you baggage checking that whole log? Looks heavy.

Yes- whole thing. It is 30 pounds. It’s only 2’ long.

I use osage to make bows with. I will debark a log, split into quarters or smaller depending on size, and slather shellac all over the newly exposed back and end grain to slow the drying and cracking, and put it up in the rafters for a year or two . . . . The shellac comes off easy enough when it is time to use it. I also cut them a little long so I am able to trim the ends by abt 2 inches each side. Good luck. Great wood.