Thread: Fisch vs Freud Forstner Bits

Fisch vs Freud Forstner Bits

Hello, this is my first post here—so first, thanks everyone for all the helpful comments I've been reading over the past couple of years!

Now, I'm looking for a new set of forstner bits. I've read great reviews on here about both the Fisch and the Freud Precision Shear (not the Diablo), and I've narrowed it down to those two.

As they are pretty similar looking (forged, made in Austria, wave/scalloped edge, etc.), I'm wondering if anyone has had a chance to actually compare them side by side?

Are the Fisch any better than the Freud? And if so, are they enough better to justify the price difference (for a hobbyist woodworker)?

Thanks for your help!

Christopher, I can’t give a hands on comparison but have read the same reviews praising the Fisch bits. I can say that I have never been disappointed with the Freud bits.

Welcome to SMC
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

No experience with the Fisch bits. But if you haven't looked at them, take a look at Famag Forstner bits. Excellent bits and long lasting. I also have Freud bits and they have been very good, also. I don't know what model of the Freud bits I have - they just say Freud.

Unless you're using Forstner bits a LOT, you probably don't need the absolute top of the line bits. I bought a cheap set of very large Forstner bits from MLCS some years ago. I don't often need a really big Forstner bit but when I do, those cheap bits work fine.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I have the Freud set and I’ve been happy. They cut clean and well. I cannot offer a comparison.