Thread: Wynn, oneida, penn state ?

Wynn, oneida, penn state ?

My V-3000 original filter is 10+ years old and I've fully clogged it several times due to carelessness on my part. Cleaning a fully clogged, pleated filter is a real dusty pain! So I'm thinking perhaps it is time to replace and upgrade the filter because of wear and tear and that the newer filters are better (I hope).The cyclone is mounted in a sealed closet and I do not see fine dust in their so I don't think the filter is actually leaking.
    Penn State claims great things for its filter and it was 2nd in the FW test. It is also the least expensive. Wynn has a good reputation and costs a little more. Oneida makes similar claims as the PS filter but costs a LOT more. Is the Oneida really significantly superior to the other two? Which one cleans the easiest? And perhaps I need to ask, do I really need to replace the filter?

I replaced my original filter with a Winn after 10 years, but started venting outside, and only use the filter on cold or really hot days. Find my suction much increased, probably double venting outside. The original filter did not have a hole in it, so it was probably ok. Old filters can open up a large leak suddenly, so maybe it would be a good idea to have a new one on hand even if you use the old one until it goes bad.

Filters are rated for cfm/ sq inch so pay attention to that. I prefer those with the least back pressure while still filtering well. I'm less hung up about HEPA vs Nano vs Spun bond as it is not the filtered air that hurts me as much as the air that doesn't make it to the filter. Decreasing back pressure adds cfm at the machine which reduces the envelope of dusty air that surrounds the machine when in use. That is the air that concerns me the most. The more filter area you have, the better the filtering and the less pressure created. Dave

Blog Entries
    Where are you seeing anything for Penn State? Looks like all they carry anymore are bag systems, blowers and air cleaners. I was considering one of their cyclones 5 years ago, but ended up with an Oneida. I presumed they were just clearing out old inventory.
    NOW you tell me...

Here are some alternate filter suppliers to add to your list.

https://damnfilters.com

https://www.gulftech.us/manufacturin...trial-filters/

There are also filter cleaning services that can clean and test the filters several times for the cost of a new one.

http://www.mcwinn.ca/index.html

I recently swapped out my stock factory filter with a wynn. The grizzly replacement filter housing was $400-500, and i wasnt filled with confidence on the specs they provide. I ordered the wynn a couple weeks ago, and just did the switch over the weekend. One, most of these third party filters are NOT plug n play. You need to build a plenum box to connect your cyclone exhaust to the filter, and then mod something for the dust pan. I have very little patience for shop maintenance and building stuff for the shop and this set me over the edge. The plenum box is understandable, and pretty easy to construct an airtight connection. The dust pan is what drove me crazy. There is no reason Wynn(or other filter manufacturers) shouldnt provide a dust pan solution for sale alongside their filters. I followed their recommendation of a 5 gallon bucket with a lid, but Gamma Seal is no longer carried by lowes or home depot. I have a lid with a seal, but this clearly wasnt as robust as the gamma seal lid is/was. Wynn recommends you connect the bucket lid to the filter via their overpriced modified hose clamps. I connected the bucket to the bottom of the filter, and it was abundantly clear the seal was not airtight when i fired up the DC for the first time. I then went back and added a a plywood top to the bucket lid for stability. Overall, its annoying that you are left to cobble together something that HAS to be airtight to be effective. You end up globbing caulk over every surface and seam. I mean, whats the point of having a Merv 15 filter that costs hundreds of dollars if you have a major air leak.

Ok, the good news. The Wynn filter is incredible compared to the old grizzly. On paper it has double the surface area(very noticeable CFM improvement), and so far my filter contraption must be working, because its passing the smell test. Upon starting up the DC previously, i would immediately smell wood. Obviously fines were escaping the filter or exhaust lines for me to smell the dust. I ran the system for a few hours yesterday, and couldnt smell a thing. Im going to go over the whole system this weekend with a smoke pen to test things for sure, but empirical evidence shows its an incredible improvement--both on DC performance and filter efficiency. I dont think it should be up to the weekend warrior/hobbyist to build a crucial part of the whole system.

Patric you should know that Wynn and the companies I linked do most of their business with commercial users and their installations are very different than ours. Filter shakers, air pulse cleaners etc along with clean outs are built in by the comercial collector suppliers like Donaldson and Clarcor. Making a special filter box with a clean out wouldn't be a fast mover for Wynn and would likely take up a lot of room to store until one is ordered. Clear Vue do make a clean out that fits the Wynn filter stack on their cyclones that might have worked for you.

https://www.clearvuecyclones.com/sup...n-out-box.html

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Kane View Post
    There is no reason Wynn(or other filter manufacturers) shouldnt provide a dust pan solution for sale alongside their filters.
    Depending on the size of the Wynn filter, they do offer filter pans, such as the 18FP30. I installed one of these to each of the filters in my DC. You can see how I built my plenum box and attached the filters in Post number 28 of this thread:

Dust Extraction Routing - High or Low?

[QUOTE=Ole Anderson;2905272]Where are you seeing anything for Penn State? Looks like all they carry anymore are bag systems, blowers and air cleaners. I was considering one of their cyclones 5 years ago, but ended up with an Oneida. I presumed they were just clearing out old inventory."

Penn State has a 14x36 nanofilter available on their website . So l called the company today and someone went and looked and said they have only two left. He did not know anything about them other than they fit their discontinued Tempest cyclones. Did not know anything about Oneida retrofit other than measurements.
    From the appearance there is a large rubber gasket on each end so fitting the filter to my existing flange and the bottom pan also should be straightforward. (Or not)
    But a question I still have is, how does one know if their filter is starting to wear out? Oneida recommends replacement after 5 years. Why? What has been your experience with cyclone filters of any brand. Do they really wear out? And how would one know without testing and measuring instruments? And even if I had measured airflow and vacuum 10 years ago I also know I would have lost the data. Heck I can't even remember how old I was 10 years ago....

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kreinhop View Post
    Depending on the size of the Wynn filter, they do offer filter pans, such as the 18FP30. I installed one of these to each of the filters in my DC. You can see how I built my plenum box and attached the filters in Post number 28 of this thread:

Dust Extraction Routing - High or Low?
    I saw that and didnt realize that was the intended use. I just assumed it was to add more surface area to a filter stack instead of adding an additional filter stack. $200 for a dust pan is borderline robbery.

You have a very tidy DC setup.

I have an Oneida V-3000 about ten years old as well and just replaced with the Wynn filter. It was a direct fit up and I didn’t need to buy any additional dust pan or really anything else. I had let my old filter clog more times then I care to admit and it was getting difficult to clean effectively. In the end I thought it was a cheap investment for a better/finer filter and the suction seems to be significantly improved over the original although that could have been due to me not maintaining the filter very well.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Christensen View Post
    Patric you should know that Wynn and the companies I linked do most of their business with commercial users and their installations are very different than ours. Filter shakers, air pulse cleaners etc along with clean outs are built in by the comercial collector suppliers like Donaldson and Clarcor. Making a special filter box with a clean out wouldn't be a fast mover for Wynn and would likely take up a lot of room to store until one is ordered. Clear Vue do make a clean out that fits the Wynn filter stack on their cyclones that might have worked for you.

https://www.clearvuecyclones.com/sup...n-out-box.html
    I was interested in this too but the Wynn filters are 17.5" and this clean out box is 15.5.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kozusko View Post
    I was interested in this too but the Wynn filters are 17.5" and this clean out box is 15.5.
    Then it is possible that you have a different filter than the ones CV put on their machines. The one I linked looks like the one that is on their CV1800 and CV-Max. I don't know because I bought my Max without filters.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Kane View Post
    I recently swapped out my stock factory filter with a wynn. The grizzly replacement filter housing was $400-500, and i wasnt filled with confidence on the specs they provide. I ordered the wynn a couple weeks ago, and just did the switch over the weekend. One, most of these third party filters are NOT plug n play. You need to build a plenum box to connect your cyclone exhaust to the filter, and then mod something for the dust pan. I have very little patience for shop maintenance and building stuff for the shop and this set me over the edge. The plenum box is understandable, and pretty easy to construct an airtight connection. The dust pan is what drove me crazy. There is no reason Wynn(or other filter manufacturers) shouldnt provide a dust pan solution for sale alongside their filters. I followed their recommendation of a 5 gallon bucket with a lid, but Gamma Seal is no longer carried by lowes or home depot. I have a lid with a seal, but this clearly wasnt as robust as the gamma seal lid is/was. Wynn recommends you connect the bucket lid to the filter via their overpriced modified hose clamps. I connected the bucket to the bottom of the filter, and it was abundantly clear the seal was not airtight when i fired up the DC for the first time. I then went back and added a a plywood top to the bucket lid for stability. Overall, its annoying that you are left to cobble together something that HAS to be airtight to be effective. You end up globbing caulk over every surface and seam. I mean, whats the point of having a Merv 15 filter that costs hundreds of dollars if you have a major air leak.

Ok, the good news. The Wynn filter is incredible compared to the old grizzly. On paper it has double the surface area(very noticeable CFM improvement), and so far my filter contraption must be working, because its passing the smell test. Upon starting up the DC previously, i would immediately smell wood. Obviously fines were escaping the filter or exhaust lines for me to smell the dust. I ran the system for a few hours yesterday, and couldnt smell a thing. Im going to go over the whole system this weekend with a smoke pen to test things for sure, but empirical evidence shows its an incredible improvement--both on DC performance and filter efficiency. I dont think it should be up to the weekend warrior/hobbyist to build a crucial part of the whole system.
    Patrick, if you're still looking for the Gamma Seal lid they are available through Lee Valley.

So I ordered the Penn filter due to its increased surface area and least cost. Had to buy some weather stripping to create the seals. The pan fit with some minor modifications for the three wire holders. The overall diameter is about one inch more than rhe original Oneida but the cyclone flanges were plenty large enough to accomadate. Did notice a perceptible increase in air movement at the end of the longest run. So quite possibly the old filter was partially clogged.