Thread: K3 Set Up Question

K3 Set Up Question

Following on the the very good slider set up video recently posted here I would like to know how others have determined that the chassis is level on a K3 because there is not a lot of hard points to put a level on anywhere. The only place I can see to do it is inside the cabinet on the bottom rails.
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

I don't have a k3 but when I put my slider/shaper in the shop I just used a 6' construction level to get it roughly leveled and used the leveling feet to keep it from rocking. In the video he used shims to level but I think the k3 has screw in feet, but either method will work.

If you’re concerned about level, use the adjusting feet on the saw.

I don’t worry about it as mine is mobile so it probably is never back in the same spot....Rod

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    If you’re concerned about level, use the adjusting feet on the saw.

I don’t worry about it as mine is mobile so it probably is never back in the same spot....Rod
    Rod adjusting it is not the problem, finding points to lay the level on is.
    Chris

Chris,

could you you use the water tubes level approach?

regards,

Jacques

Jacques, Any number of methods might be used but it is gaining access to four points at the machine's extremity that is the difficult part. I have never worried too much about it before and I was curious about how others who had levelled the machine had gone about it. To be honest and I don't want to appear to be putting him on the spot but I thought Rod Sheridan would have done it at some time in the past but apparently not. If the machine did not have the slider and cast iron table on it then the problem would not exist. I have decided to do what I did before and ignore the problem.....problem solved and thanks for the interest.
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Parks View Post
    Rod adjusting it is not the problem, finding points to lay the level on is.
    Hi Chris, I'm obviously not understanding the discussion.

When you talk about leveling are you meaning adjusting the machine feet so it's sorta of level or do you mean adjusting the sliding table to be parallel with the fixed table?

Regards, Rod.

I mean adjusting the feet to get the chassis level, the rest after that is easy. I found that the infeed end of the cast iron table has a small dip in the middle tonight, but it is only minor like .01mm. It is six years old so I guess it has not caused problems so far and can go on the ignore list. I only found it because the level was giving me funny answers so I put a straight edge on it and with a torch behind that light was to be seen.
    Chris

I can understand stability but why is level important? I have never leveled any piece of stationary woodworking equipment and I have never had a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Parks View Post
    I mean adjusting the feet to get the chassis level, the rest after that is easy. I found that the infeed end of the cast iron table has a small dip in the middle tonight, but it is only minor like .01mm. It is six years old so I guess it has not caused problems so far and can go on the ignore list. I only found it because the level was giving me funny answers so I put a straight edge on it and with a torch behind that light was to be seen.

All I ever do is use a level on the table to set level in both directions. Since it's a non precision alignment I just put the level along the edges of the machine. Since I use a 6 foot level it ignores small dips in the surface........Rod.

I'm having trouble understanding the issue with level placement. The obvious place is on the table top itself. What am I missing?
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

Used a level to get the cast iron top level in all directions by adjusting the 4 feet. From there I have made adjustments to get other parts on the same level.

I admit to OCD in stuff like this all brought on by building too many race cars and karts. That's my exscuse and I am sticking to it. My OCD says it is better to start with a level chassis than a twisted one but I can undestand why others may think I am certifiablly nuts in my pursuit of perfection.
    Chris

Chris,

I believe there is a saying about « sin admitted, sin forgiven ». Based on this, you are allowed to carry on with OCD.😇