Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What is this tool used for?

Here’s another one, came with a drawer full of stuff from a guy who did furniture and he said “you know about these, right??” Of course I said I did but I didn’t and I still don’t. Do you?

Just a Marking knife...

That’s what I figured but it’s double beveled and has the weird contours

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cornwall View Post
    Here’s another one, came with a drawer full of stuff from a guy who did furniture and he said “you know about these, right??” Of course I said I did but I didn’t and I still don’t. Do you?
    The best response when someone asks a question like that is to say, "you likely know more about them than me."

If you are reluctant to admitting a lack of knowledge, chances are less new knowledge will present itself.

It has a resemblance to a fleam knife.

https://www.outlanderanatomy.com/tag/forceps/

Scroll down to image E.

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 03-03-2019 at 6:48 PM.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Thanks!! He didn’t seem like he’d be into bloodletting, maybe there’s some application with wood stuff.

As far as reluctance to admit my ignorance, I am the person who started this thread after all!

Cheers!!

I'm generally more ignorant than most but hate to admit it....
    Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post

It has a resemblance to a fleam knife.

jtk

"The fleam is a tool for blood-letting "

YIKES
    Last edited by Kris Cook; 03-03-2019 at 7:53 PM. Reason: edit quote
    Regards,

Kris

That knife could also be a ‘steel eraser’. I have one that came with an old drafting set. Keffel and Esser show them in an old catalog I just saw on a quick google image search for steel eraser.
    Jim
    Ancora Yacht Service

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Ritter View Post
    That knife could also be a ‘steel eraser’. I have one that came with an old drafting set. Keffel and Esser show them in an old catalog I just saw on a quick google image search for steel eraser.
    Jim
    I was thinking the same thing. Draftsmen used to make drawings for blue prints with black ink on a heavy clear film. Then they put this clear film over photosensitive paper which would turn blue where the light hit. The inked areas on the film would show up as white on the "blueprint", and multiple copies could be made from the one original.

When the guys made a mistake they would scrape away the dried ink with these knives. I have a few of these but I can't remember where they are to compare.
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 03-04-2019 at 7:14 AM. Reason: Removed Ebay Link

You guys are so cool to share all this knowledge! Where would I be...

This isn’t a thing exactly but has anyone ever heard of this?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cornwall View Post
    Thanks!! He didn’t seem like he’d be into bloodletting, maybe there’s some application with wood stuff.

As far as reluctance to admit my ignorance, I am the person who started this thread after all!

Cheers!!
    Sorry if my comment upset you.

We are all ignorant, just on different subjects. (if my recollector is working, Will Rogers said that.)

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Sorry if my comment upset you.

We are all ignorant, just on different subjects. (if my recollector is working, Will Rogers said that.)

jtk
    No, not in the least. When I ask someone for help I have learned to take it on his terms. Thanks for the input, it’s much appreciated.
    Last edited by Mike Cornwall; 03-05-2019 at 4:45 AM.

Ink eraser illustration:
    ink eraser.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Mickley View Post
    Ink eraser illustration:
    ink eraser.jpg
    Thanks Warren, learnt something today.
    "If you have all your fingers, you can convert to Metric"

All men are frauds. The only difference between them is that some admit it. I myself deny it.
    H. L. Mencken