Thread: Yesterday's Rust Hunt

Blog Entries

Yesterday's Rust Hunt

Our youngest daughter wanted to go shopping to find a gift for her boyfriend, so off to Portland we went. Saw signs for estate sales on the way.

Dropped $4 +tax for these:

Rust Hunt Mar 2, 2019.jpg

My first look at the rusted over etch led me to think it was a D-8. It is actually a D-23. It is filed 10ppi crosscut. Without cleaning it cuts real nice. It may be due to the estate sale being were many years ago there was a saw sharpening shop next door. Information from the Disstonian site indicates this saw is most likely post WW II.

Most of my drawing has been done on a drafting board using triangles and a tee square. This K & E unit may change that.

There where also some new old stock Russel Jennings 100 series auger bits on ebay. My set came with one damaged bit, so this seemed like a good opportunity to replace it. It still had the factory paper wrapped around it.

One of my favorite parts about traveling to Portland is on the way home we often get to stop at the "woodworker's candy store," Crosscut Hardwoods:

http://www.crosscuthardwoods.com/

Even the wife and daughter found items they wanted.

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 03-02-2019 at 5:03 PM.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    I am an old draftsman designer. I did piping, pressure vessels, structural and also civil drawings.
    I had and used drafting machines, but I am just as happy with a parallel bar and triangles. An electric eraser is desired though.

If you clean up the drafting machine you will be happy with it.

Good use of $4......
    Jerry

Jim,

Ya did good! That saw is worth way more than the $4 from my perspective, and the drafting machine also.

Great job.

Are you planning a restore on the saw?

Stew

Blog Entries
    Are you planning a restore on the saw?
    Yes, clean it and use it.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)