Thread: Question on Jet 8" Bench Grinder Height

Question on Jet 8" Bench Grinder Height

Hi guys
    I ordered a Jet 577102 JBG-8A 8" bench grinder the other day and have not received it. In preparation I was making a dust collection box and needed the height measurement from the tabletop to the top of the 8" grinding wheel. If you have one of these grinders could you reply with this measurement for me? The specs for this grinder say the overall height is 12-1/2" but I don't know exactly what they are including in that measurement. I just need to the top of the wheel. I expect to remove the shield and use my own box for containment.
    Thanks

Last edited by Mark R Webster; 03-02-2019 at 3:51 PM.

Mine is an older version of the same grinder and is 11" from the bench to the top of the cast iron shield housing. The bracket and clear guard is about another 1-1.5" above that depending on how you adjust.

HOWEVER, removing the cast iron guard on a 3600rpm 8" grinder is insanity.

The surface speed is very fast on this grinder so wondering about your use for woodworking. Standard speed on 10" drops in half so the rate of grind on this is actually faster than larger and much larger grinders. Perhaps you meant to order the 1800rpm one? Or maybe you are going to use CBN wheels? I'm associated with a manufacturer of industrial grinding wheels and am way too familiar with the forces involved.

3768fpm on 1800rpm 8"
    7536fpm on 3600rpm 8"
    4710fpm on 1800rpm 10"
    5652fpm on 1800rpm 12"

Mainly going to use with wire wheels and of course eye protection. Rust/paint removal. and buffing. I was replacing a 3/4 horse that was slowing down more often with pressure than I was happy with. Thanks for your info and comments!!
    Last edited by Mark R Webster; 03-03-2019 at 2:06 PM.

You have to wait and see what you got. The model number really means nothing. Jet does not make anything except the ads. The production is farmed out and whoever is low bidder for this ship may have a few differences then the last ship.

Hmmmmm..... good to know!
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mark R Webster View Post
    Mainly going to use with wire wheels and of course eye protection. Rust/paint removal. and buffing. I was replacing a 3/4 horse that was slowing down more often with pressure than I was happy with. Thanks for your info and comments!!
    glad to hear that.
    Wood will have no problem with the stray wire “arrow”.