Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dining Table Build

Dining Table Build

This is a dining room table I'm building for our new house. This table is heavily inspired by Tim Coleman's version with very slight modifications. Tim is probably my favorite professional woodworker and I just adore pretty much all of his work. I am very inexperienced in design so I rely heavily on other's to get an idea. This is my next transition in this hobby is to design from scratch and is something I truly want to succeed at but am very intimidated by. Never the less I still really like this design and it will be a staple of our small dining room for years.

Then wood is Mahogany from a guy that picked it up in the 60's to potentially build his family a dining room table. I am not sure what species of mahogany but would love some opinions. He was not a woodworker but had dreams of doing this project. He unfortunately never got around to it and it just so happened my mother knew his wife and she told me about the wood. I literally had to use every last drop of the wood for this project so could not mess anything up at all. In planing the top down I was greeted with a very large sap pocket that would not plane out. I unfortunately had to dig out the sap and fill with epoxy and a butterfly. It did turn out well enough and puts a bit of character on an otherwise very large plain surface.

I still need to finish out the top with a bottom bevel and round over the top edge. I will be applying Osmo Polyx as I did for the base and think I will top that off with Osmo Top Oil for an extra layer of hard wax. I have very little experience with Osmo for table tops so would love others to chime in to give their opinions on using this for a dining table top. I will post finished pictures once I get this 100%.

Table With Chair.jpg Dining table.jpg Base With a Finish.jpg Cutting Top To Size.jpg

Beautiful design, the Mahogany is superb. Nice work Tony I like it alot.
    Looking forward to the finished piece.
    Aj

Nice gams!! Curves are good compliment to the top.

Beautiful! I love the way the bottom pieces curve! Thanks for sharing.

That base is awesome!!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Beautiful table Tony. I love the simplicity. Your doing a great job. Better use a tough finish on the base. People will put their feet on it.
    Charlie Jones

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Jones View Post
    Beautiful table Tony. I love the simplicity. Your doing a great job. Better use a tough finish on the base. People will put their feet on it.
    Thank you! I ended up using Osmo Polyx for everything. I think I'm going to add an extra coat of Osmo Top Oil on the top for that added protection. It is my first time really using the the Polyx oil and I think I do like it. It is much different than anything I've used in the past as it is def much more of an oil than a film finish. I typically use Shellac as it gives me the ability to build a nice layer and then I'm able to rub it out to the desired sheen. With Osmo you end up applying a relatively light coat and then wipe off the excess. It does leave behind some build but is much more natural looking than film finishes. I'm hoping the Osmo holds up as it was originally designed for hardwood floors. We shall see.

The design is from the Fine Woodworking issue a few months back, right? It really is a nice looking table and great job on execution.
    There is a very fine line between “hobby” and “mental illness.” - Dave Barry

Finished Table Pics

Here are some pictures of the completed table. Unfortunately the rug we have in place really needs to be replaced and hides the detail of the base. We are currently looking for a round rug to replace the hideous one sitting there now. If at all possible try to look past this ugly rug. The finish on the entire table is Osmo Polyx and the top has 2 extra coats of Osmo Top Oil. Hopefully this finish holds up to the rigors of Dining table use.

Finished Table_2.jpgFinished Table Top.jpgFinished Table_1.jpg

That's a great looking table, Tom. I'll be interested in any feedback you have about the how the Osmo products are holding up after you've used the table for a few months.

John

I agree super nice looking table.
    And your right the rug hides the elegance of the base.
    Thanks for sharing
    Aj

Nice bandaid in the top.

Agreed, a very formal table what with the black tie and all.

The Osmo looks like a great finish, the wood is gorgeous in that second picture.

It's a guess on color alone, but I think it's honduran mahogany. It's unlikely to be cuban if it's from the 60s, given our relationship with them at that time.

I love the base as well. I also like the quirk of the tie, shows that its natural and not printed on. I think you will do well and look forward to your original designs.

Nice shape, and beautiful wood.
    Regards,

Kris