Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pants pants pants

Pants pants pants

I need some new pants. I used to wear Carhatts carpenter or diuble knee duct pants, and have worn Arborwear arbenter pants for the past 7-8 years. Arborwear was local to where I used to live and the stuff is nice enough, but like the Carhartts the knees where out on me.

So I知 looking for something new. Possibly Duluth or try Carhartt again?

These pants will be basically for temps under 60 (7 months of the year?). They値l be used in the shop, yard work, playing with the kids, going out (I知 pretty relaxed).

What do you all suggest?

I have a closet full of pants from Duluth Trading and have worn them for years. They are comfortable and wear like iron. Not inexpensive, but my practice is always to catch things on sale and buy enough to get free shipping. Their pants last me for years. And for the record, all of my tees are from them, too, (can't beat the extra length) and their "Buck Naked" product has been my first layer for over a decade. Those also last "forever" and are uber comfortable...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I'm partial to Lee's denim carpenter pants. They're not especially heavy-duty, but they have some space in the seat and the thighs that make them a comfortable fit for me. I can usually get them for around $30/pair.

I haven't tried Duluth pants, but I love their flannel shirts ("Free Swingin'" I think) - also with space where I need it for working.

I just bought my first t-shirts from Duluth and am impressed with them. They are heavier than what I had been wearing for years and as stated by Jim, the extra length is nice! I wear Carhart jeans but may have to try Duluth in the future.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Wade Lippman View Post
    Do I need to pack heat and have a badge (since there is a badge holder) to wear those?
    Just kidding. Just seems like they are marketing to a certain audience on their video.

I'm partial to the Big Smith brand. Been wearing them sine way back in the early 1970's when Monkey Ward had an exclusive on the brand.
    Today, all they make/sell is bibs. I can't speak for the current quality of them - - since the ones I'm wearing now are the same ones I outgrew roughly 20 years ago.
    (I went on a diet in December 2017 & I've lost about 110 pounds - thankfully, I kept a lot of the cloths I outgrew when I gained all that weight).

The good news is - I can finally fit back in those bibs!
    The bad news is - I'm still losing & I'm out,,err,,err, out-shrinking?LOL! Those same bibs - a lot of my wardrobe is way too big....
    My granddad always said, :As one door closes, another opens".
    Wonderful man, terrible cabinet maker...

Duluth currently has 20% off and free shipping on $75 orders based on today's email.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    Do I need to pack heat and have a badge (since there is a badge holder) to wear those?
    Just kidding. Just seems like they are marketing to a certain audience on their video.
    I wondered what that loop was for! A badge holder... Unlikely I will ever have a badge, but good to know I could.

I'm a cheap ba$****, and I don't "live" in work pants. Even when I did they were just jeans, so suffice to say I am no expert.

I bought some Dickies duck, double-knee, etc., first, by direct order on the interwebs, then later, after losing weight, from Wally-World. I thought the price for the seeming quality was a pretty good trade-off. I probably wore the original pants I ordered a couple dozen times, mostly to cut and process firewood, and they show almost no wear. I would not expect them to be as durable as Carhart or Duluth, but I don't punish my pants in the same way a work-a-day guy does either.
    "Live like no one else, so later, you can LIVE LIKE NO ONE ELSE!"
    - Dave Ramsey

I have some of those Dickies to Charles but in denim, I actually like them better than the Carhartts for day to day. $20ish a pair, you can go through 3 or 4 pairs for the same price as one Carhartt. Beat the heck out of them and toss when covered in paint/glue/silicon or they rip. The lowest right leg pocket is perfect for the little Stabila level I pack around all the time when doing doors and windows.

I wore Carhartts for years. I stopped because of cost and the coarse weave, heavy fabric seemed to wear out pretty fast. Denim is tighter weave and lighter and cheaper, but I was addicted to built in knee pads I had with the double knee. Now my favorite work pants are Walmart cheap house brand jeans. I hot melt glue foam pads inside the knee.
    Last edited by Andrew Joiner; 03-02-2019 at 6:07 PM.
    "Whether you think you can, or you think you can稚 - you池e right."
    - Henry Ford

Texas Jeans. Made in the USA and a reasonable price.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Duluth currently has 20% off and free shipping on $75 orders based on today's email.
    OK, I'll give 'em a try. I ordered two pair so I get free shipping.

Thanks for the recommendation on the Duluth's just ordered 2 pairs they're cheaper than regular jeans up here.