Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: "Knife wall"

"Knife wall"

In a very recent blog and video, Paul Sellers claimed he invented the knife wall and gave it its name. While I consider this to be a simple advertising stunt, it piqued my curiosity - how far back was this "method" documented, if this is actually possible? What other names have been used? Are you smiling?

Regards from Perth

Derek

I could see a wall with knives sticking out of it. Something to release pent up tension, not that I have one of course.
    The wall left behind by a marking knife clearly pre-dates the pencil. It was probably pre-dated by a scribe, I’m sure the Romans would have a good laugh at Paul’s expense. The Romans loved walls of all kinds; Hadrians wall, city walls etc. So a knife wall would have been second nature to a Roman carpenter.
    Last edited by William Fretwell; 03-01-2019 at 10:26 PM. Reason: Add
    ​You can do a lot with very little! You can do a little more with a lot!

Sellers may have popularized the use of the knife wall for many woodworkers, but he did not invent it ((he did invent the term "knife wall", I think). Charles Hayward called it the sloping groove, cut with a chisel or trimming knife. At least another author has written about it, before Sellers.

Simon

Sellers does not claim he invented the technique. He does make a claim that he coined the term "knife wall"; in the video, he mentions what he heard it called previously.

Darn, thought this thread was going to be Derek making a magnetic knife wall thing. Still a possibility?

Quote Originally Posted by Vincent Tai View Post
    Darn, thought this thread was going to be Derek making a magnetic knife wall thing. Still a possibility?
    Or perhaps one using blue tape?

Regards from Perth

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by Simon MacGowen View Post
    Sellers may have popularized the use of the knife wall for many woodworkers, but he did not invent it ((he did invent the term "knife wall", I think). Charles Hayward called it the sloping groove, cut with a chisel or trimming knife. At least another author has written about it, before Sellers.

Simon
    Yeah, Simon. But it is implied, to be believed by his ultra loyal band of followers. That's what I find narcissistic.

On the other hand, I think the content of the video - the techniques - very useful. And Sellers is a wonderful teacher. Put the pronouncements aside, and he has some good content to offer.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    Or perhaps one using blue tape?

Regards from Perth

Derek
    Lol, I should've been more clear. Blue tape, that'll be a classic line if it isn't already. I meant those magnetic boards of wood that people use to store their kitchen knives. So I was genuinely quite excited for another DC build!

Quote Originally Posted by Vincent Tai View Post
    .... So I was genuinely quite excited for another DC build!
    Thanks Vincent. I am in the planning stages of one that, hopefully, will be very interesting. At the moment I am building framed panels for the kitchen. Nothing exciting.

Back to the topic ...

Regards from Perth

Derek

Blog Entries
    My guess is the method of cutting a line across a piece of wood and then excavating a notch next to it was used before Man figured out how to make a saw.

This method repeated over many times would eventually cut through a piece of wood.

Woodworkers have also likely created a wall with a marking knife or gauge when starting a rebate/rabbet for centuries.

My first question to myself when stumbling upon a new trick for the first time is, how many other woodworkers have done the same thing in the past?

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

But it is implied, to be believed by his ultra loyal band of followers. That's what I find narcissistic.
    Interesting observation.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    Yeah, Simon. But it is implied, to be believed by his ultra loyal band of followers. That's what I find narcissistic.

On the other hand, I think the content of the video - the techniques - very useful. And Sellers is a wonderful teacher. Put the pronouncements aside, and he has some good content to offer.

Regards from Perth

Derek
    Agreed. And narcissistic is a perfect fit.
    *** "I have gained insights from many sources... experts, tradesman & novices.... no one has a monopoly on good ideas." Jim Dailey, SMC, Feb. 19, 2007
    *** "The best way to get better is to leave your ego in the parking lot."----Eddie Wood, 1994
    *** We discovered that he had been educated beyond his intelligence........
    *** Student of Rigonomics & Gizmology

Waste Knot Woods
    Rice, VA

In defense of Sellers, maybe a decade ago or, when Sellers first came on the eaching scene, he released a series of DVD's and my dear wife bought the set for Chistmas (I gess she thought some of my techniques needed refined?). Puting aside the weird production graphics, the content was quite good, albiet basic.

At the beginning of each DVD, and several times through each, Sellers made the statement each DVD contained secrets of past masters. The knife wall was used throughout the series. If I recall correctly, he may have alluded to inventing the term.

I saw the use of a knife line technique many years before the Sellers series. Sellers being narcissistic? Ithink it maybe whoever advises and produces his videos. If he were on the other side, as the student, I hink he would cringe.

By he wa, hat DVD series would be excellent for a beginner. I can't recall if I was each all the way through, though, as virtually eaverything shown, I was already familiar with, and sime things I disagreed with (his convex chisel sharpening methods). He book hat accompanied the series, was excellent, though, and far better than the video.
    If the thunder don't get you, the lightning will.

I'm not sure where it was implied anywhere that Sellers invented the technique. And from reading the comments, few, if any, subscribers seem to think Sellers invented the technique.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Matthews View Post

Put down the knives boys, note the date.
    How is the date relevant? Asking a question, not questioning................
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 03-02-2019 at 11:13 AM.
    *** "I have gained insights from many sources... experts, tradesman & novices.... no one has a monopoly on good ideas." Jim Dailey, SMC, Feb. 19, 2007
    *** "The best way to get better is to leave your ego in the parking lot."----Eddie Wood, 1994
    *** We discovered that he had been educated beyond his intelligence........
    *** Student of Rigonomics & Gizmology

Waste Knot Woods
    Rice, VA