Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do you have trouble getting things open these days?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Demuth View Post
    On the hardware side, I've bought things in "clamshells" so sturdy I couldn't open them with​ a scissors, having to resort to a sheet metal "snips."
    My recent "favorite" was a Freud saw blade packaged that way: I was pretty sure a blood sacrifice would be required before it attained its freedom.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Jobe View Post
    I'd like to add that the lid design on this bottle of baby aspirin should be mandated on all pill bottles and such.
    I bought a big bottle of naproxen with a "senior-friendly" screw-off cap maybe 10 years ago and am still using it. The childproof caps on the new ones get opened once by any means necessary (chainsaw?) and the contents transferred to the old bottle.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Glenn View Post
    The new zip lock packages have a tear off strip that I usually end up cutting off with scissors, then I have a problem getting the two sides to separate to pull it open.
    Spent about 5 minutes yesterday morning trying to tear that strip off a package of bacon. Finally realized there was no strip - you just pull the sides apart. One of these days, I'll learn to read the directions first!

My mother suffered from severe arthritis in her later years. Her prescription meds came in child proof bottles that she could only open by smashing them with a rolling pin. She wrote to the provider explaining the situation and they replied with "sincere regret and empathy" and sent her a year's supply in........child proof bottles.

This country needs to rethink the whole process of packaging. Plastic is too easily available, used once and dumped in the waste stream. The only medicine I ever take is an occasional allergy pill, with the little corner that you're supposed to bend down and pull. It's so small you can't grab it. They provide plastic bags for produce, then put those bags in another plastic bag for people to take home. Our local Stop and Shop has a mark down rack with "too ripe" fruit and vegetables. They have bananas in little paper bags with handles and everything else is on styrofoam trays then covered in shrink wrap. When I used to tell them I didn't want a bag at the register, they looked at me like I had 2 heads.
    I opened a few toys for my grandkids at Christmas. I swear the cardboard was 1/4" thick, glued with titebond, and the plastic was bullet proof lexan. Once I got through that, there were either zip ties or throw away plastic screws and nuts going through yet another piece of cardboard holding every single piece in. I hope we run out of oil soon.

Blog Entries
    I've read "reports" of a whirlpool of plastic the size of Texas in the Pacific.

I've been taking Chantix (the smoking cessation medicine) for a while now. It seems to be helping/working. A month's worth of pills (2 a day) come in a box where EVERY SINGLE pill is in a punch-out conglomeration of cardboard, aluminum foil and almost bullet-proof plastic. For sake of my sanity when I get a new prescription I normally punch-out, pinch, twist, cut-out all of the pills at one time and transfer them to a normal bottle.

Afterwards.., after all that hassle.., I've got to have a cigarette to calm down. Makes me wonder if it's all in their marketing plan??

--Ken

Blog Entries
    Check out UPS LOOP co-sponsored by TerraCycle
    You order stuff online from LOOP and it comes in various SS containers and packed in a foldable, reusable box. You store the box and return the empties. They clean and fill them and sell them again. I don't know if their business plan will work but at least someone is trying.

https://loopstore.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Feeley View Post
    Check out UPS LOOP co-sponsored by TerraCycle
    You order stuff online from LOOP and it comes in various SS containers and packed in a foldable, reusable box. You store the box and return the empties. They clean and fill them and sell them again. I don't know if their business plan will work but at least someone is trying.
    I wonder how much is really saved after all the shipping and cleaning all those containers for reuse? It sounds like a neat idea if you already have these goods shipped to you anyhow.

Shipping semi sized loads to a single store is more efficient than shipping a small amount to hundreds of homes.

I bought a bag of chips and the clerk asked me if I wanted it in a bag. I told her it was already in a bag.
    Life's too short to use old sandpaper.

It’s a mater of people’s honesty. If it was easy to open people would just open it and grab a handful with no conscience about it or not be watchful of their children. It’s also about proving something is new, like tools, if it is not sealed up someone may have used it and the store put it back on the shelf. When is the last time you saw a stack of circ saw blades on one hook with no packaging at all. It is costing us a fortune to pay for all that packaging too. Now if I could just get this old foot out of the stirrup I could get off this horse.
    Jim

First thing I do when I get a medicine bottle is to turn it upside down
    and take a screwdriver to the two part lid and pry the top lid off.
    That part goes in the trash. Then it's easy to open...